1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 Battery Life

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Alan Wolf, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I've been waiting until I've gotten a few charges under my belt before writing about this. I get an average of about 120 shots per battery charge. This is without flash, and with the LVF on, using the LCD maybe every so often to review shots. I have the sleep and review settings pretty short. I'm also in California, where it's been in the 50s and 60s out, so no cold temperature effect. I do not shoot that many shots at once, and I wonder if this may be one explanation. That 120 shots equals about 10 days of use. (Or perhaps 10 days of not being used.)

So, I'm not thrilled with the battery life. Also, I've noted that once the battery indicator goes down one notch, there will not be very much power left. (I still have and use a Sony S85 that tells you, very accurately, how many minutes of battery life are left. This is about 8 years old.)

What are other's experiences with the GF1 battery life? Any tricks to getting more time out of it? My assumption is that this is not a battery that needs to be "trained" or have its charging carried out in a specific manner, but I could be wrong.:frown:

2. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Not sure how many shots I get, I have never had to charge up because I ran out. I would say roughly around 1000 images or a month. I have a spare battery with me at all times, but never had to use it (technically - as I swap them during charges)

I do not chimp on the screen a lot though, I shoot, then turn off.

3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    on the G1 - mine is about 200 shots

just wondering if I use a "card reader" (instead of a direct connection), to transfer images from camera to computer it will improve the position significantly

Probably need two spare batteries if you are out for any length of time

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    A card reader will kill the battery.

I am shocked that you guys only get around 200 images, my GF1 has surprised me quite how many I can get out of it....not a patch on my D700, but not bad all the same.

What on earth are you doing to use up battery so quick? What lenses? I use a 20mm, I am wondering whether using IS might suck the life out of them, I know when I use the D700 with a VR lens it drops the battery life quite significantly.

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    must be reading the card then as I use a mix of MF, then the 20mm 1.7 then the 14 42.............but this weather, (in the UK), I have used the G1 indoors quite a lot

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I last charged my battery about 3 weeks ago, have taken quite a few shots and still have 3/4 full!

I have used a mix of LCD/EVF and occasional flash but I use a card reader for image transfer rather than direct from the camera.

I have been very satisfied with the battery life but it did take about 3 charges and uses before reaching this stage.

7. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Maybe it will improve still then. I am never quite sure (unless a manufacturer explicitly gives instructions) about the “forming” needs of batteries.

I have always used a card reader out of habit. I have one of those fast firewire Sandisk readers, and it’s just siting there on the desk. Also, have only used a lens with IS (the 14-140) for maybe 20% of the time. (And I have it set to not stabilize until I press the shutter.) I think the 50 Nokton and 20 kit lens share the rest about equally, with a small fraction of other glass for maybe 5%.

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i get better life out of my battery about 300 shots

9. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Anyone with suggestions for optimal camera settings to prolong battery life? Yesterday was the first day I'd been out all day with the camera only to find after 120 shots it was empty. I've been conditioned to carry a spare battery so all was not lost, but surprised after seeing battery life improve so much on other camera systems.

Do others switch the camera off between shots or let it go to standby?

10. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    You guys that only get a couple of hundred shots, must chimp a lot.

I shoot, I turn off, its comes on so quick why bother letting it turn itself off.

Dont spend all your time chimping. I am getting hundreds and hundreds of shots out of mine, in fact I have never charged my batteries because they where flat. It tends to stay in the camera and I use it....if I know I am going out for a long day of shooting specifically, then I will do full charge before I go - I have never had to use my 2nd battery (although I rotate them).

11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah I get about 400-450 shots with mine and that's with the IS in mode 3 and using the LCD screen. I use the auto screen shutoff and auto power off. I'm amazed how quickly it turns back on when it has shut itself down.

Hey Craig , what's chimping mean? Is it like monkeying around.

12. kskumar

kskumar Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2010
    Malaysia
    I get about 400 shots as well. Using the kit zoom with IS on, using the LCD as well. I do live in a very warm country where the average day time temperature is 33 degrees celsius. Isn't battery life dependent on temperature as well ?

13. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Chimping [Wikipedia]

Haven't measured it, but using the LCD has got to use more power than using the EVF. For example the G1 manual says that under their "CIPA standard" conditions you get ~330 pictures with the LCD, and ~350 with the EVF. I think most people's shooting styles are quite different from this though (I know mine is) so the numbers (and differences between LCD/EVF) will change. Also the CIPA standard involves "full flash every second recording".
    The G1 manual does also note that battery life decreases when you change the LCD power level via the LCD MODE menu item.

Lots of other things will affect power consumption, but I think the LCD is the biggest consumer. MF will use less than AFS which will probably use less than AFC, OIS will use some, etc.

The battery capacity does temporarily reduce in cold conditions (which is why with all cameras in snow/etc conditions you should have a charged spare in a warm inside pocket and swap batteries as required).

BTW, it didn't take long to find the GF1 manual online and see that on pages 21/22 it talks about numbers of recordable pictures ranging from 100 to 430!
    LCD/EVF and lens choice make a difference, with the worst numbers reported when using the LCD with one picture every 2 minutes (instead of every 30s, and thus involving a lot more time for the LCD to chew power).

Is this where I suggest that people RTFM? :wink:

14. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    In Marrakech my G1+Battery was 1 week old Temperature was around 26 most days, humidity was very low.

9am I'd take the battery out of the charging cradle
    Wouldn't come home till about 7pm, battery still showing 1 mark.
    Approximately 600 shots per day, all in highest quality/resolution (JPG only though)
    Pictures were usually in bursts of 5 or so a minute
    Never turned off camera while walking, always let it enter power save at default power saving timer.
    Never used EVF because because I needed to shoot from the hip most of the time to avoid problems (EVF off in menu)
    LCD faced outwards all the time.
    Firmware was 1.4
    Lens was 14-45 latest firmware

Hope that gives some idea of the *new* battery life on a G1 for comparison.

-Gary

15. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    Mine seems pretty good - I haven't really thought about it but at a guess I would say 3-400 shots. I do a reasonable amount of 'chimping' too.

Got a spare non-panasonic battery too which is quite handy - this one says it's full for ages then dies quite quickly though.

Don't know how true this is but when I bought the camera the guy in the shop told me to charge the battery until full, then take it off and leave it to cool down for half an hour or so - then put it on to charge again. He reckoned it kind of 'remembers' it's first maximum charge and this was a way to make sure it was as much as possible.

16. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks David for the link, I'm all clued up on chimping now. I can say i haven't got a bad habit yet, but my main problem is getting home as fast as i can to check the images out on my computer.

I wonder how many new terms are invented each day?