GF1 as a good documentary camera.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chuck Pike, May 16, 2010.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I have had my GF1 for close to two months and have shot with it most days. I live in Charlotte, N.C. and visit uptown at least once a week, and this week I went three times. I say documentary and not street, because most of the people know that I am taking their photograph. This Sat I came across an Indian wedding party. The groom looked like he might have just stepped out of a National Geographic magazine. After the wedding party (less bride) got together they danced down the sidewalk having a wonderful time. I am trying to document what I see in the uptown area.

I have been passing a Hooters almost everytime I walked up town and wondered how I might get a photograph. Well today, several of the servers were on the sidewalk collecting money for some cause. I was approached and I put a dollar into the bucket, and then asked if I could take a picture. Well the server who I had given the dollar to called out, "he wants to take our picture." All of the servers on the sidewalk gathered along a fence, and the ones who had been working inside stood behind the first group. Now I used the buildt in flash for one picture and not in one picture. The flash furnished just the perfect amount of fill flash.

What I have found is that for what I shoot face reconition works very well. It isn't just for faces, but shows in the green boxes what will be in focus. Not sure if they let us put our web page on here or not, but if it doesn't remain part of the message, just google photosbypike.

photosbypike

2. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
  3. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Thanks for the comment and thanks for looking. I do have a question, how were you able to get the picture into this thread? I would like to show off some of my work here, but I don't understand just what I need to do to get it here?

Been shooting for 50 years. I was even going to re enlist in the Army for a third time, if they sent me to photo school. They said no, and as we were at the bottom of a foxhole, and being shot at, I said, I am going home.

Anyway, I am now retired, and go to uptown Charlotte once a week. I add to this site almost weekly. Really glad to have found this site, as DPr shoots people down who are trying to explain how they were getting a shot, and not just about the gear that they used.

4. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i just posted the link in the text box. the board automatically parses the link, and changes it to a shorter description to get the massive link out the way. or here's another way.

you can choose the Go Advanced button right under the text box. you'll see a text box with a bunch of icons and stuff directly over it. there's a tiny one that looks like the earth with two links of chain under it. click it to insert a link into your post. or you can click the tiny one that looks like a postcard and insert the image directly into your post.

i should probably ask - are you on a pc? do you know how to copy past a link? if not, hit me up and i'll be happy to tell you how to do it on a pc, but i'm not very mac literate.

DPr can be a strange board, but one can get lots of fast answers to questions usually.

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Hey Chuck thanks for the link. I had a nice look around there and i think i know a bit more about Charlotte. I heard of the name 3 days ago and was discussing with my brother trying to figure out where it is! Thanks to you i am that little bit more knowledgeable. I really like the Blue Ridge park shots, especially the blue mountains at the start.

We have a mountain range in Queensland we call the Bunya Mountains and it often is nicknamed the Blue Mountains because of how it looks from a distance. But scientifically it is caused from the trees secreting a certain type of gas out of their leaves and creating a blue haze.

catch ya,
    icon