1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GF1 and iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dcginc, Feb 8, 2011.

1. dcginc

dcginc Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Pdx orygun
    I recently bought a GF1. Can I connect it to an iPad for uploading of either photos or video? I do not yet own the iPad but I'm thinking about the future when I do.

I know apple makes an SD card reader for the iPad. Is it just that simple, plug the SD Card into the reader on the iPad? Will the card reader be able to read the AVCHD video files in addition to the jpg, or RAW photos?

thxs.

2. dcginc

dcginc Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Pdx orygun
    This post begs the question, workflow for photos with an iPad while traveling assuming one wishes to empty the SD card and offload the images before they return home.

What are best practices? I have a Smugmug account, and use the iphone app. I suppose I could use the SM iPad app to off load images out of the iPad to the 'cloud', Smugmug... thoughts? thanks.

3. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    There have been a few threads around discussing this topic. Here is one that will be helpful..https://www.mu-43.com/f73/review-ipad-camera-connection-kit-2547/

I use SmugWallet which is a 3rd party iPhone version for SmugMug and it has worked very well with the iPad and iPhone in my opinion, and the photo display on the iPad is excellent. There is a new iPad specific version out from SmugMug directly that I haven't tried yet as it was getting some very negative ratings out of the gate. SmugMug is such an excellent company for customer support that I can't see them letting it stay that way too long. I read that they were working on their own iPhone app as well.

There are apps that support various other online photo sharing sites, as well, and Adorama TV has a section of nothing but iPad photo related app reviews that you might want to take a look at.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To my knowledge, there are only 3 ways to get photos from the card onto the iPad.

Camera connector kit (has 2 pieces - one for an SD card, another for USB)
    Eyefi card
    Go through a computer - note iTunes will downres images across the sync TO iPad.

I'm leaving on a trip next week and am planning on issuing the iPad to do the initial cull, and upload to facebook, then I'll bring everything on to the computer for real editing and printing

5. dcginc

dcginc Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Pdx orygun
    Good stuff, thxs

6. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    does it accept raw? I know there are photoediting apps for Ipad, but i imagine it would be really slow with raws...???

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The iPad uses the same raw codec as the Mac, so anything a Mac can read, so can the iPad and any app that accesses the photo library. It reads my pen and Canon 21mp raw files just fine. Raw files are not modified and can be off loaded to any computer using the apple cable, without booting iTunes. The camera adaptor kit runs at around 1Gb every two minutes. I don't have AVCHD but the Pen movies (motion jpeg) are both copied and playable on the iPad.

If you open a file (raw or jpeg) in any program, the iPad makes a smaller copy (limited to around 2304 pixels on the longest side). So any file emailed or manipulated will have this limitation.

On short trips I have taken only an iPad and my Epson P5000 and downloaded to both. All files are left on the Epson and I cull hard on the iPad and just have the "keepers", due to the limited space available. Then I'll use photogene to play around and upload images to Facebook etc, knowing that the originals are safe. Works very well for me on personal trips.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  8. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I have this combo. I have never tried with video, but for stills (both JPEG and RAW), yes, it really is that simple. Note that you'll see a preview of the image, and that preview isn't full resolution. It is enough to determine if you totally missed the shot or not, though.

I shoot JPEG+RAW these days, so not sure about RAW only.

9. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I have used my iPad to store photos and videos from my Olympus cameras, no trouble at all with any files. I import using my USB card reader as I have both SD and CF cards. The photo conection kit comes with a SD only attachment and a USB attachment, I nearly always use the USB one.
    When I get home I just attach the iPad to my computer and can then import the files straight into Aperture.
    Overall I am very happy using it to store and view photos while I am traveling.

10. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I have a third party combined SD / USB adapter for the iPad and for me it has the same problem that others have experienced since iOS was upgraded i.e. the iPad firmware limits the voltage to the adapter. With mine the built-in SD reader gets an error but I can plug a card reader into the USB port and it works fine. The direct connection to the camera works fine too via the USB port.

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Last summer, I experimented with an iPad and Eye-Fi card with good results. The particular model of the Eye-Fi I was using didn't support Raw transfer, but it did handle the JPEGs just fine (was shooting Raw + JPEG on LX3). The app that completes the transfer set-up is ShutterSnitch; start this app, turn on camera, and transfer of images not previously uploaded begins. Image previews appear automatically and keepers may be saved.

I also took this setup one step further and used a standalone portable wireless hub to establish a network to make the transfer. iPad won't establish its own network and Eye-Fi can't use 3G, so if you're "in the field" and away from accessible wireless networks, this is one solution. It's fiddly, though; probably simpler to just pop the SD card into the reader. But I suppose if you have the camera on a tripod and want to view your results nearly real-time, this is an option worth considering.

12. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    And Eye-Fi are releasing an update soon that has a native iPad/iPhone app and communicates directly via WiFi without requiring an access point. Can't wait.

• Like Like x 2
  13. arsene

arsene New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2011
    I shot pictures using my GF-1 a couple of months ago during my holidays. The pictures were in RAW and I have no problems viewing them in my iPad after importing them using the camera connection kit. I imported them into the iPad to view them as well as serving as an additional backup.

14. dcginc

dcginc Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Pdx orygun
  15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No - pictures are only downrezzed when going from computer TO iPad through iTunes sync.

16. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    I was looking for another thread; I wrote the bit below for FPN, but figured it'd be of use in this thread, so I'm adding it here, too.

Okay, here's the comparative pictures.

First, we have how RAW+JPG files appear vs. RAW files in the import from the camera connection kit:

IMG_0080.

Second, this is the RAW+JPG file. It has good JPG detail when viewed on the iPad:

IMG_0082.PNG

I find RAW+JPG (and, on my Leica, this is RAW+JPG fine, btw) suitable for making partial determinations of focus. I can at least tell if something's greatly out of focus and delete that. Be careful, though, there's no undo for deleting here, so it may be better to skip deletion on the iPad altogether.

Third, this is the RAW-only file. You can see it's more blocky if you look at the details, but it is obvious what the picture's of:

IMG_0083.PNG

I wouldn't make any focus determinations from this shot at all, though you can probably tell some things (like whether you're within a stop of exposure).

• Like Like x 1
  17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    So if you are shooting at full jpeg, and want to dump the card onto the ipad for storage. Then transfer them to a mac. Does the photos stay downsized? Or when you transfer them you get the full size back? I use aperture 3, and just pre order the ipad 2 for friday pickup.

18. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    You get the full size back. The downrez is just for iPad display.

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  20. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Any image transferred to the ipad via the camera connection kit is kept at it's original resolution and unmodified. When you connect the ipad to your computer it shows up like a camera memory card and you can copy the files to your computer. This works for raw and jpeg images. Files remain in their original dimensions.

Any image transferred to your ipad via itunes can only have a maximum long side dimension of 2308 pixels. Anything bigger is copied at this smaller size.

Any program on the ipad that works with photos can only work on images that are smaller than 2308 on the longest side. So these programs make a copy of the original (raw or jpeg) at that size. The original is left unaltered.

Gordon