GF1 and external flash- FP TTL

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by James, Apr 28, 2011.

1. James

James Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011
    Can anyone help?
    I am needing to find a flash that will be capable of fp- ttl on the GF1

Can anyone advise if the GF1 allows this and what flash is compatible.

I am getting mixed messages!

I think that the Nissin di466 is NOT FP-ttl

I think that the oly fl-36r and the pany dmc fl360 are?

is that correct> are there any other flashes that would work?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Either of these two...

I actually posted some info on this in the "Artificial Black" thread. Both the Panasonic 360 and 500 will allow you to go into the FP mode when set to Manual. Other strobes would also likely have this feature, though it would require they can communicate with your camera via TTL.

The owners manual tell syou you can use a flash sync shutter speed up to 1/4000, but fails to explain that you can only do this with a TTL compatible flash.
  3. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    I would look at the metz also.
  4. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    What does FP stand for?
  5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    "Flash pulse" - if I understand well, you get the same series of flashes pre-shutter to measure dustance to subject and lighting conditions, but there is a second one as the shutter is working ; which enables to have sync speeds greater than 1/180. The pros on the forum will correct me if I'm mistaken ;-)
  6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Flash Pulse sounds appropriate, but I always reckoned it was a reference to FP expendable bulbs, which did in fact provide the same effect.

They were FP for Focal Plane (i.e. shutter), and their long flash duration did allow for high-speed sync. Old cameras, say Nikon F, had a setting to switch from X sync to FP.

The FP-100 were the last I saw. These looked like a 100W AC clear tungsten lightbulb, to pack a huge magnesium coil. They were cool to use: you would replace the FP-100 in the reflector by a tungsten bulb to set up as a pilot light, and a few FP-100 would illuminate a big factory hall -- or the Mammoth Cave for speleologists.
  7. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    FP is also know as HSS with out brands, high speed sync. It really shorten the range of the flash.

The metz support HSS with 50 af-1 and higher models
  8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Focal Plane

In this case the FP refers to a Focal Plane equivalent feature.
  9. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    You are correct concerning the Nissin Di466. It does not have an FP mode.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX

Because of the way focal plane shutters work, if you only have one flash burst, your image will only be properly illuminated in one strip. The faster the shutter speed, the narrower the strip
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I feel like you are all speaking a foreign language. One day, I'll venture out of my little "available light photography" world.....but it sure seems daunting.
  12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Horses for courses ...

You may not ever need flash for the photography you do
  13. raviliousness

raviliousness Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I'll just add my experience of today to the mix.

I have a Canon 550EX which has High Speed Synch (ie Focal Plane) Flash but it won't communicate with my GF1, so it looks like I'll have to get a Panasonic FL360 or Olympus FL36 (if that'll work?).

Also, TTL fails too for the same reason I guess - no signal received/understandable from the camera to tell the strobe when to stop - so everything is overexposed.

Manual worked fine though, apart from the 1/160th second fastest shutter speed. Which wasn't always fast enough handheld with a 50mm macro lens stopped down with plants swaying occasionally in the wind :(

Arghh :frown: