GF1 and extention tubes.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Toonman, May 20, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Just ordered some cheap extension tubes from E-bay (£10).

Does anybody have experience with cheap extension tubes perhaps some tips?

GF1 14-45, third party remote.
  2. jpejar

jpejar Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Turku, Finland
    From what I've understood, and someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, you can't focus any of the current native m4/3 lenses (save for the 25/0.95) with any of the current extension tubes due to the lenses being focus by wire. This means that focusing requieres the electronic contacts to work between the lens and body. Extension tubes + legacy lenses should work just fine with the proper adapters etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks jpejer.

Adapter required now then!
  4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    I have a set of cheap m43 extension tubes and have tried it with my legacy adapters. This allows the aperture to be set and manual focussing, however you need a tripod ideally one that can track in and out to assist close focussing. I haven't got any pictures to show as I haven't had a chance yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks Greyelm. I am bidding for a couple of older lenses on E-bay now. A 50mm Olympus F1.8 and a Vivitar 28mm F2.8.
  6. robsonj

robsonj Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    Does that mean you cant even manual focus the camera?
  7. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Don't know, still waiting for E-bay lens to arrive. There has to be many people on here who will know........................over to them. :smile:
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Without an electrical connection to the camera a native Micro 4/3 lens will not not be able to autofocus, nor be manually focused due to the focus-by-wire system employed in the lenses. To my knowledge the only extension tubes made for Micro 4/3 cameras are simple tubes with no electrical contacts. Any adapted lens that has a physical focus mechanism (which is virtually all of them) can be manually focused with or without extension tubes.

However, extension tubes significantly limit the focus range of a lens. You will most definitely lose infinity focus and only be restricted to a small range of close focus distances. The longer the extension tubes, the greater the magnification, and the closer and shorter the range of possible focus distances.