1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gf1 accessories

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ingeribe, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    Hey guys, I just picked up my first micro 4/3 camera!! I got a GF1 because I'm going to Africa in April and want to take some nice pictures of the wildlife and environment. Are there any specific brand batteries or must have accessories that you would recommend? Thanks

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I would recommend picking up the LVF1 viewfinder to allow viewing on bright days when the screen can get too bright to see (I just recently let my GF1 go after 2 yrs - great camera), it also allows a more stable platfrom for focussing if using with a longer lens.

Since the launch of the GX1 with dedicated evf they have come down in price.

Hahnel batteries are also very reliable and a good price - beware of some of the obscure very cheap ones, they may affect your camera.

Just noticed there is one for sale on this site!

3. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    If you got the budget go for extra batteries the original one at least you need two for a day shooting more if you keep preview to check your picture after the snap. The 3rd party batteries will be cheaper but not last long enough like the original.

If you shoot outside under bright sun you may need to use the external view finder attachment. even though not as good as new view finder for GX-1, the old view finder for GF-1 will helps you a lot to snap the picture. You don't have to buy the new one look for second hand.

The neck or hand strap will also handy to keep your camera around you. BTW hope you bring zoom lens with you the 45-200 or 100-300 will be handy for wildlife, and if you more into landscape the 14 will be fine.

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Depending on your firmware, some batteries may not be compatible.

Make sure you check around to see which third-party ones work.

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    +1 for extra batteries. I use a wrist strap and a leather half case that I got from eBay for my GF1. A good bag is going to be essential. I've had luck w/ my LowePro Pro Messenger and Pro Sport. A wide lens like the 14 would be great for landscapes. A good tele like the 45-200 or 100-300 (but you need the EVF and a tripod to really use the 100-300 effectively) would be great for wildlife. You can rent lenses from borrowlenses.com or lensrentals.com if you're in the US. Oh yeah, second and third memory card. They're cheap enough and you want to make sure you have backups. I have three 8GBs and never found myself running out of space shooting all RAW on the GF1.

6. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm thinking about picking up 2 extra batteries just to be safe, and picking up a 16gb and 8gb card. As for lenses I'm looking into a 14-42mm and a 40-150

7. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    I bought this Aki Asashi grip for my GF1, and it transformed the camera's handling :smile:.

http://fototime.com/EC7DD8E7E4C347B/standard.jpg" border=0 alt="Hosting provided by FotoTime">

--Warren

8. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    I was actually just looking those up. The only thing I don't like is the little bit of added bulk.

9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    it's very light and only adds about 1/2" or less to the bottom of the camera. The other drawbacks are that you have to remove the grip to change the battery or remove the memory card. I got lucky and found mine used from the Mu-43 classifieds. The grip is especially helpful when using the GF1 with a long lens, like the 45-200mm.

-Warren

10. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    Hmmm, I might pick one up a little later on then if I have a little extra money or end up getting a 45-200 lens.