1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GF1 + 45-200mm - Tripod Q

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DarrenG, Mar 25, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Just ordered the 45-200mm lens for my GF1. Will it fit on a tripod ok though? I saw mention of an adapter needed for some lenses when using the GF1.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You need to check the base plate, as the lens DOES extend below the bottom surface of the camera in the front.

You need a base plate that ends flush with the front edge of the camera body, slightly behind the front of the lens mount.

That said, I have used it with a longer base plate by putting the lens on first, then screwing in the base plate and clamping it down. It leaves a small gap and is probably, technically, not as stable as doing it properly, but it works so long as you don't need to change lenses with the camera on the tripod

3. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah thank you, in that case I may need to sort something out. I've a Manfrotto monopod that will be fine but my full tripod is a heavy video model with a very large baseplate and that extends way beyond the front of the body.

I get the lens tomorrow so I'll see what's what. I'm sure I can cobble some solution together!

4. 45-200mm is just a tad to large in diameter. ~12mm from center of tripod socket to where the barrel of the lens will interfere with your base plate. I ended up needing to order the adapter plate. Works but adds a clunky factor. So I end up unscrewing it and the large qr plate when through using the tripod.

A ball head I'm looking at is the ReallyRightStuff BH-25 with B2mas qr. The GF-1 specific qr plate looks to be small enough to avoid needing any adapter. Any one use this ballhead, qr combo?

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Someone (Kirk Industies?) makes an L-plate for the GF1. when I decide on a new tripod, I may pick one up if it fits

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah yes, so they do (see here) but at $80 I'll have to find a cheaper solution.

Lens arrived yesterday and very happy with it, feels fine on the GF1, the EVF comes into play perfectly with this lens and even at our higher UK prices it's great value.

7. Inexpensive solution with a catch.

Arca-Swiss style plate is the catch.
    The inexpensive is the Benro PU-40 qr plate. Mounted the plate on the GF-1. Lens clearance without the need for an adapter. Clearance to open the battery/SD card hatch with plate mounted. No more clunky factor.

Selling the DMW-TA1 adapter (FS section).

8. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Sorted mine with an adapter that allows Manfrotto quick release plates to be used with any tripod.

Works perfectly and is small enough not to interfere with the 45-200mm. Means I can use the same plate for the tripod and monpod as well and when it's turned at 90ยบ I can pop open the battery compartment as well.

manfrotto-adapter.

9. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
  10. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I believe that Kirk Enterprises does not offer a plate, but I do know that RRS does offer an L-bracket for $125 US. I bought one.

Regards,
    Tom

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Link above, post #6 only $80 for the Kirk L-plate.