GF1 20mm and Black and white

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Iansky, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I was having a look at some of my recent images that I have not worked on / posted and thought I would see if there were any that would work as B&W.

I have selected 3 images, all taken with the GF1 & 20mm and edited in PS before converting to B&W using Silver Effex.

I do enjoy B&W and must do more!
    (Repeat 100 times - I must do more B&W)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Very fine work - the first is my favourite Ian.

Thanks for sharing! :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ian,
    #1 takes me away...thanks...

4. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Gents,

I took No.1 on my jouney to work one cold morning, it was misty and the mist was holding low and moving around by the stream so a quick pull over, and through the gate and took a couple of images but like this one best.

Once more, the GF1 being so small allows me to always have it with me and not miss the shot as it appears.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Ian, you are a super star, I've got the same gear, the same lenses and i take the pills regularly..............tell me what to do......please

No 1 or #1, (to appease those "over there"), is mega

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I just posted on these somewhere in the gallery. I'm completely in love with that first one - Misty river bank.

Don't want to repeat myself so I'll stop now and see if I can transport myself into that scene.

7. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    BB - it reminds me of the River Don, (the bit by the Steel Works), - (Ian will probably appreciate what I am saying!)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Ian

Good choices for conversion.

I am 're-discovering' B&W.

One of the features I enjoy in Lightroom is the option to make Virtual Copies. They take up almost no drive space and give the opportunity to play. So when I upload a bunch of images I can select any single one and do a one click conversion to BW to see if it is worth further work. If there are a bunch of candidates I can make a collection of Virtual Copies and convert them to BW with a few clicks.

This really helps in seeing the potential for BW, and to get a handle on what works for my style of shooting.

If an image really promises to be good in BW I do not go on with the standard Lightroom pre-selected conversion: I don't like the options much, to my eye they make the images very flat with weak contrast. Instead I do the conversion manually in LR (it's incredibly intuitive), or, more often, I use the Silver Effex LR plugin (which is simply amazing).

Edit: just looking at Ian's shots again. Love the first one. Powerful atmosphere.

9. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Nice work ian... I like the first photo.... the fog... very nice.. very nice..

10. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

Ha ha, very good.

Now stop taking the pills and listen to me........I will say this only once - lens cap off.........!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that and no malice or sarcasm intended.

I guess the most important thing is checking the histogram to make sure you are not losing too much.

I used matrix metering for this scene to allow me to capture the mist and the shadow areas as much as possible and I always use centre spot focusing - I also used about minus 1/3rd EV to allow the sensor to capture the mist.

What many forget is that digital sensors record as slide film used to so the more light you give them, the lighter the recorded image will be so it is mostly good practice to meter for the highlight that is most important in the scene and check that histogram and if you see it too far to the right then try some negative "-" EV.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I certainly do :wink:

Cheers

Brian

12. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Ian, this stuff is very valuable, please keep it coming

• Like Like x 4
  13. asiriusgeek

asiriusgeek New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2010
    Southern WI, USA
    Ian, I love the first one as well. Thanks much for posting the tips, too. Your point about the size making it attractive to have the camera with you is exactly why I am looking at a m4/3 investment. I bought a Lumix ZS3 at Christmas for this purpose. While it's a nice camera for what it is, it has too many compromises compared to my Canon 40D for the photography that interests me, so I'm hoping to find a camera that keeps the small size but is more capable. I just joined here, I'll look forward to reading more from you :).

14. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Hmmmmmmm, I'm watching you Bill

15. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    All Excellent.... As usual great work.

16. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    All three are lovely, but I will agree that No 1 is my favorite too. I'm confused about the sailboats in No 3 though—there is a transparency to them that looks like a double exposure, or a window reflection. As usual, you've got such a strong sense of composition.

17. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Excellent shots and great conversions, thanks for sharing

18. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thank you all for the feedback.

Bill I must be having a (excuse my expression) "Brainfart", the river Don means nothing to me other than from an old Roger Whittaker song "Sleepy old town".

Have to watch it though as Don is getting paranoid methinks.............I suspect he thinks we are starting a conspiracy to re-colonise them!!!!!!

19. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Ian, just realised that you are from "down South....ish" - I made a mistake as I thought that with your "talent" you must be from "up North" .............sorry.........anyway Brian knows what i mean so that's good enough for today

20. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    The river Don is about 15 minutes walk from here. :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian