1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF-2 or E-PL1 ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RDM, Nov 24, 2011.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

My parents wants me to help suggest to them a camera to buy for my older brother for Christmas. He use to have a Canon DSLR with some lenses but because of financial difficulty this past year his wife sold it to a Pawn shop a few months ago. He was upset that she did that because he loved to take photos and mostly Videos with it of his kids, and he said it took beautiful videos.. He still mentioned how he misses having that camera sometime when he calls. So My parents want me to spend a couple hundred they said. Basically an inexpensive one under 300, and new not used.I'm thinking it's between the GF2 and the EPL1 they are selling this weekend for $289 and $299 respectively.
    I myself use a G1. I love it and that's all i seem to need. I Shoot lots of photos and do not care for video. SO i do not know about these other cameras for video since i never touched or used them.
    Any idea which would be a better deal?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The GF-2 is the faster camera. Better controls. Much faster focusing lens. Also a better video implementation. For kids and videos, I'd not recommend the E-PL1.

DH

3. leendertv

leendertv Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Leendert
    EPL1 for better JPEG engine, IBIS and small kit lens (m.Zuiko 14-42mm).
    GF2 for fast Auto Focus and video.

The EPL2 is no option? Faster AF (m.Zuiko 14-42mm II), better LCD, better build quality.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    For the money the GF2 is the much better option than the E-PL1. I've had both and despite the fact that you'll hear us go on about IBIS, JPEG engines and such the GF2 is simply better in some simple way that matter.

It focuses faster and more accurately
    the pictures look great
    te video looks great
    the controls are easy to use and where you expect them to be
    the LCD is better

Having owned both I can tell you that yes the JPEGs are a little better with the E-PL1 but if you looked at the images side by side you'd be hard pressed to see it.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's a lot to be said for control, and the GF-2 has that over the E-PL1 for sure. And the E-PL1 is fugly. ;) The E-PL2 on the other hand has better control, no limitations, slightly better image quality, and stylish looks. It's everything the E-PL1 should have been, done right.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Agreed, the E-PL2 is a much better camera than the E-PL1. IMHO the control wheel on the GF2 is a HUGE improvement over the button arrangement on the E-PL1. The E-PL2 is also a terrific choice. I consider the E-PL2 and GF2 to be roughly the same level of refinement. Considering how cheap the GF2 is right now ($299 with the kit lens)) I think its a better value than the E-PL2 but I don't expect that will last. I assume their just clearing out the last of the stock.

Also I with you...the E-PL1 is futt bugly.

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Correct, because it costs over a hundred dollars more. If it was within ten dollars of the other two i would get it for sure..lol

Of course it is, but it's way more expensive than i can pay right now. Look back at my original post and i mention the cost of the EPL-1 & GF2 I am looking at.
    It is a much sexier camera than the GF2, however I can't buy the EPL1 just because of its good looks.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I wasn't responding to you in that post I was responding to Ned. If you care to look at my original post I say pretty clearly...

I even state IN the post were I said that the E-PL2 is superior to the E-PL1 that the GF2 button arrangement is much superior to the E-PL1. right now the GF2 is going for about $300 with kit lens and you really can't beat that deal. BTW, If you're going to take me to task for not reading your post try actually reading mine first.

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It's all about if you need/want IBIS or not.

And that depends on the lens you want to use. So it's true that in some ways the GF2 is a better camera but that's only a relative statement because if you buy the E-pl1 you'll get a very good camera anyway: just look at the image thread on this forum to see what it's capable of.

I owned an E-pl1 and made great pictures in my trips to Berlin and Barcellona and never regreted it.

So choose wisely on what you need and don't bother about what you buy: they're both great cameras.

10. You mentioned that he took a lot of video with his previous camera. The GF2 is better for video, because (among other things), the kit zoom lens has OIS. If you still think video is important to him, then the GF2 is the way better choice, as long as it is with the 14-42 zoom lens, not a pancake.
    Not being biased here, because I have an E-PL1! Video isn't that big a deal to me....

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Ohh OK ...lol, So its is Ned's fault for straying off topic, & you were just following. :)
    My bad, sorry I was just assuming that since I was asking for opinions and help to decide on a camera to get that all reply were in some way directed to help me decide. That was just my polite way to get back to my OP.
    I didn't realize it could be taken

P.S. Happy thanks giving everyone, I'm about to go into food coma soon....lol

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Sometimes the conversations do that. FWIW the discussion offers some of the best insight into the choices because of people's experience. While it may not be a direct answer to you questions the discussion typically moves things forward. Both the E-PL1 and GF2 are good cameras. My father used to say that an opinion and twenty five cents was worth exactly twenty five cents.

Between the E-PL1 and the GF2 you really can't go too wrong. Something to consider is that for practical applications 720 video and 1080 video lare not THAT until you view it at larger resolutions. A bigger issue for taking video of the kids is whether or not the lens is noisy. The kit lens that came with the E-PL1 was not particularly quiet (neither is the 17/2.8).

Go eat.