GF-2 Lens for product shooting?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MaggieLo, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MaggieLo

MaggieLo New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2012
    I know little about photography but I have a Gf-2 with it's original lens. I am asked to shoot some products for my mom's store.
    Which type of lens (specific models) should I look into? and should I be using external flashes? Would the Nissin di466 be appropriate?

Products are not super small. For example: Ceramics (teapots, handmade sculptures)

Thanks for your help!

2. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Product photography is not about the camera, nor about the lens. It is all about the lighting.

The kit lens that came with your GF2 should be fine.

The golden rule for lighting products is "make it soft". The last thing you want is a bare flash. You should look at flash umbrellas and softboxes. You will also need a reflector to fill in shadows.

For lighting set-ups, I suggest you Google on "lighting for product photography". You will find several useful tutorials. Also, the following site may offer you a good starting point:

If this job is a one-off you will clearly want to do it as cheaply as possible. If, however, it is likely to be repeated, you may want to consider buying a small studio lighting set up consisting (usually) of two flash heads, two tripods, a softbox and an umbrella. This has the advantage of being useful for other applications, especially portrait photography.

I started with an Elinchrom kit and added to it later. Cheaper kits are available, but my Elinchrom gear has given me years of service without any problems.

Product photography is far more difficult than it might first appear but getting it right is extremely satisfying. Good luck! :smile:
  3. MaggieLo

MaggieLo New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2012

Wow, this is a lot of help! Thank you so much. :smile::smile::smile: Hopefully it will turn out, I will remember to post photo after!
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, but certainly not just one. You need two at an absolute minimum. I won't go without 3 minimum for my purposes.

For each light you will need 1) a light stand (or tripod for the lights that won't need the height of a light stand), 2) a trigger (ie, radio receiver, slave sensor, etc.), and 3) a light modifier or diffuser (ie, softbox or umbrella).
  6. tanglewood

tanglewood Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    i suggest a light box...

For small product photography, I suggest put your subject in a light box and photograph it with flash. Bounce.

For big product photography, then maybe multiple flash with umbrella and beauty box in a room. In case it rains, umbrella is useful also.

For industrial machinery product photography, I suggest harsh lighting. :)