GF-2 at PMA?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by voyager, Jan 16, 2010.

1. voyager

voyager   Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Do you think they'll release it then?

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    When is PMA? ... Oh, just checked - end of Feb.

...and how long has the GF-1 been available for sale? a few short months.

I don't think so, probably a replacement for the G1 - hopefully using the rumoured new Panasonic 4/3rds sensor.

Should be interesting!

Cheers

Brian

3. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I agree with Brian that their "big" camera is a more likely candidate for a refresh, since it's farther along in the development cycle and the GF-1 seems to be selling briskly (it's not even available body-only yet, AFAIK.)

My question is whether they're going to continue to bother having non-video and video models within the "big-camera" subline. I think it would be more logical for them to pare down their Micro Four Thirds lineup to one compact model with "consumer" video features (GF-x) and one larger model with "prosumer" video features (GH-x.)

Under this logic the GH-x model would get refreshed next with the new sensor and whatever other goodies they've got in the back room (e.g. eye-level finder with their new high-res LCD, as on the EP-2's accessory finder, instead of the expensive sequential display) and then the GF-x model would get a corresponding refresh a few months later, and then they'd continue to alternate updates between the two product lines.

I also wonder whether they'd continue calling it GH-2, GH-3, etc., or adopt Nikon's convention of calling it, say, "GH-1s"...

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Tooooooo soon

I also endorse what has been said and add my two pennyworth.

The GF1 was only released latter part of last year so I would not expect to see an updated version until the end of 2010 at the earliest, it is selling very well in the UK and only now are we finding supplies of body only & 20mm lens on its own being available - the continent is still struggling to get the kit with 20mm.

I suspect as do others that Panasonic will merge the G1/GH1 into a new camera and that will appear later in the year. I do not see them announcing a GF1 replacement until well after a G1/GH1 so as not to impact on those sales.

I also suspect Panasonic will wait and watch to see what Olympus do next before showing their hand.

Time will tell