GF-1 LCD in bright sunlight.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by noelh, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Only real issue with the GF-1 has been the hard to visualize LCD in bright sunlight. 1st wondering if it was my aging eyes. Broke out the LX-2. Major difference. The LX-2 without the PowerLCD fx on was brighter than the GF-1 with the function on and monitor LCD brightness boosted to max.

Am I missing some other somewhere buried setting to increase the brightness of the LCD? Maybe time for a DMW-LVF1 or HoodLoupe. Anyone have a suggestion for a "hood" that would work under moderately windy conditions? Something like what the old time glass plate view camera or portrait photographer used or still used. Minimal bulk would be a requirement.

2. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

There are plenty of these on ebay...looks like minimal bulk to me.

I'm using antireflex screen protector, which helps a bit. But for general use in a bright day I'm using LVF-1, got quite comfortable with that.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There is a brightness setting in the menu, but I have found the solution to be much simpler - wear a hat. All the difference in the world, and helps prevent skin cancer!

4. Monitor brightness setting already at max. During the warmer season I normally have an old ratty looking Tilley on the head. Nice wide +3" brim. Am looking for a "French Foreign Legion" or paddling hat with a decent size neck cape. Flip the hat 180* and use the neck cape as a photo hood. Sew in some weights along the perimeter of the cape to keep it under some control when the breeze picks up. Could end up another diy failure.

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Tried to use GF-1 in bright sunlight today; complete failure. Unfortunately, I left both my LVF-1 and my hat (!) at home....:mad:

Fortunately, my primary camera for the outing was G-1 with 45-200. No problem! :thumbup:

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The LVF-1 is very useful for composing and such in bright conditions. While the resolution could certainly be improved, the unit does provide good utility for a reasonable price - also aids in stabilizing the camera against one's head for those slower shutter speeds/longer focal lengths. And you can use it on an LX5 as well, should you have one of those as a point-n-shoot.