GF-1 kicks X100’s butt

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 10, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Well that may be a bit over dramatic :biggrin:

Short post. Go Here.

Google Translate

So, do you agree?

thanks to 43rumours.com for the link.

Gordon

• Like Like x 3
  2. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    the reading was a bit......stilted in my opinion. some weird analogies of course (due to it being in another language of course) but a interesting read (because of it i guess) lol :biggrin:

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Well, I read it in my mother tongue, and this was very articulated and balanced. Interesting link. I haven't tried a X100 yet, but I'm not in a hurry. I pretty much share the same decision factors as the author, and this camera isn't for me. Which doesn't mean at all it can't be a wonderful camera for someone else.

Cheers,

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'll take an X100 due to the fact that it will be a collector's piece....

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I have it and and love the way it does everything....
    it shall live with me....

• Like Like x 1
  6. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I don't have the benefit of being able to read it in French and there were indeed some strange phrases. It did strike me as a balanced piece, as you say, with many of the same criticisms that have been made of the X100, and indeed by me.

However I just can't put it down and its all I want to use at the moment. My GF1 + 20mm just sits on the shelf. I haven't enjoyed using a camera so much, ever! Even though I'm still making mistakes with it, its advantages far outweigh its "difficulties" as far as I'm concerned. And the images it produces - just extraordinary.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, David. That is quite a change from what you thought earlier.

8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Different strokes, I guess. I certainly won't be judgmental, for I perfectly recall how some of my friends reacted when I decided to drop out of the DSLR world completely upon my e-p1 acquisition. The best camera is the one you really want and love to have with you when taking pictures.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 2
  9. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Before I only handled it briefly tethered to a post at a camera show. Doing that and using it are two entirely different things. Plus I did only make comments about the build quality and the jpgs I had seen at that time.

I now think that neither the model I held or the images I saw were representative of the "finished product" and I cannot explain why that would be.

Also I'm quite prepared to change my mind. I did react negatively to begin with but was still prepared to be convinced, since the concept was very much to my taste. And indeed it has proved to be the case and I'm glad I didn't give up on it. I nearly did many times, particularly with the supply problems, but something always kept me interested. I'm glad it did.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Interesting comparison. Thanks for the link, Gordon. Reading Google-translated French was a nice change from reading Google-translated Chinese :biggrin:.

I can't personally justify having more than one expensive camera unless I find a way to dedicate more time to being out doing photography. Since I feel the need to have interchangeable lenses, that rules out the X100 for me, at least for now.

Don, I had no idea you picked up a GF1 :biggrin:.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You do realize that an X100 will be worth quite a lot in 20 years or so as a collector's piece :wink:

12. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I agree with the comment (if I understood correctly) that should a m43 camera be made with a viewfinder, at m43 price then the x100 could be in trouble. My GF1 with 20mm is great, I love the image quality and even with the evf being mediocre it is fun and easy to use. I can afford an x100 and my GAS is niggling me but I will wait until later this year to see what develops. (pardon the pun)

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Why?

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    It's only a matter of time ...

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'd like to know the answer too! Maybe I'll stockpile! Although 20 years from now, I'd likely be dead.

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You guys are all missing that little "wink" after the collectability statement.

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Photography is a computer world now ... in 20 years, 40 MP at ISO 128000 will seem "quaint" ... and it will cost less too, Moore's Law in effect big time

18. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, endless possibilities:

1. The start of a new era
    2. The camera that made some famous photographs
    3. The camera that promised wonders to a market hungry for those wonders, delivered some really good things and was succeeded by a MKII that really delivered wonders and so MKI could be had for $399 on eBay.

:biggrin:

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I wish Moore's law would speed up. I just want an inexpensive digital medium format camera now.

20. I'm not so sure about the X100 becoming a collector's piece, but who knows? I think it is a rare camera that would appreciate in value in absolute terms. If you look at how much a collectible camera cost when new in today's money compared to what it is worth now, it might not be considered such a great investment.

I wonder if we are being blinded by the retro looks of the X100. I tend to think that if it had been presented in a black, square-edged, metal body it would not have generated the same hype surrounding it's release and would have had to make it's reputation on function alone rather than form. From all reports and samples it seems like a great camera but it's retrospective looks help to shield it from any criticisms of it's function, of which there seems to be a few. Fuji played the X100 perfectly from a here-and-now marketing perspective but it remains to be seen if that approach gives the camera long lasting appeal.

I also think that more than ever it is possible for another camera from another manufacturer to come along quite soon after and do all the same things but just a little bit better.