GF-1: Focusing on the moon

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Larry Boy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Larry Boy

Larry Boy New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2011
    Hey all. New here. But very excited to find you! Especially because the manual is so terrible! So thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I love my GF-1 with the 20mm pancake lens but am having real trouble at night. I've got the camera on a tripod and am taking pictures of the moon in a starry sky.

Trouble is I cannot get it to focus! The auto focus wont recognize the distance and seems to default to some middle ground that is not there. On manual focus, I turn the ring and it looks like I've got the scene in focus on the screen, but then when I download and view the shots on the computer, it turns out I was wrong.

Is there some reliable way to get the camera to focus on "infinity" or, otherwise, to get the autofocus to "see" that I'm aiming for an object that is more than 200,000 miles away?

Many thanks!
  2. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    In either A mode or M mode, set the aperture to what you want. Switch the camera from Auto Focus to Manual Focus. Turn the camera off and back on again. The focus should default to infinity. Don't touch the focus ring and you should be all set.
  3. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I was photographing the moonset yesterday with the same equipment and wasn't having that trouble. I used the single focus area mode with the box about big enough to enclose the moon.

About the manual focus not working out for you: the GF-1 in AF+MF mode re-auto-focuses once you release your finger from the half-press of the trigger. I couldn't get AF+MF to be smooth for me until I figure out to use AFL to hold the AF in place while I play with MF. Or you could use AF to get it in the ballpark and then switch to MF mode with the focus mode button. In any case be aware that if AF kicks in your MF changes are gone.
  4. Larry Boy

Larry Boy New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for the ideas. I will put them both into practice tonight when I try again!

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Spot meter on the moon, make sure there is some contrast on the moon itself, not just w brightglowing blob