1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GF-1 +20mm 1.7 new for $680??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by csnite, Feb 21, 2012.

1. csnite

csnite Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Florida
    In my local camera shop, they have a new GF-1 with the 20mm 1.7 listed as 799. The manager is willing to let it go for his cost, which he says is $680. I already have en e-pl1 with the kit and 45-150. Is this body going to be an upgrade or downgrade from my pl1? I would most likely sell one body or the other, or both to get a newer body. I really just want the 20mm. What would you do?

2. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    as much as I love my GF1, I have to say that isn't a very good deal on a long discontinued camera. The GF1 is very good, and I much prefer the controls compared to the E-PL1 in particular, and I believe the GF1's AF is faster. also, the GF1 body is metal and the E-PL1 is largely plastic.
    but, your 45-150 will be a little more challenging to use on the GF1 because Panasonic bodies do not have IBIS so you will lose stabilization (Panasonic puts IS in their lenses).
    the GF1 is a great camera and I think you would see an improvement in controls and AF speed and durability, but if I were you, I would either look for one used on this site (they show up pretty frequently) or look to one of the newer generation m4/3 cameras where you will see more noticeable improvements in body performance (processing speed, AF, ISO, etc.)
    The 20mm does show up on here used from time to time as well, in the $300 range. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $600 for a GF1/20mm combo.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just pay the $400 retail price or cheaper for the 20mm f/1.7 and use it on the E-PL1. :) An extra $280 for the GF-1 body? Not a great deal.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Are you willing to pay $450 for a 20, as GF1 goes for $200 - 250. I paid $680 a year ago for a gf1 kit w/ 20 and that was full retail, $800 is robbery to begin with.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't do it. You can get brand new 20mm from a variety of online retailers for $350-$400. Thus $280 for a GF1 body doesn't seem worth it. You can try to win the lottery and pickup a GF1 + 20mm on CL for cheap. I've seen two go by sub $300. You can try the ebay lottery and pickup a busted GF1 + lens for cheap. A broken GF1 + 14-45mm lens just sold for $112. That lens alone is worth $200.

This reminds me of my local Walmart. They still have an old Sony A100 for $799. It's been there for years but the local mgr refuses to let it go for cheap so it just takes up shelf space. It's like people who buy stock and it takes a tumble. It's human nature to try to hold in the hopes of it making it back up to where you bought it. The best thing to do is cut your loses and move on.

6. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    Well, CL for cheap is a bit like fencing stolen goods, lol.
    But you can definitely get a great shape GF1 and 20mm for $500, second hand. In fact, I did just a month ago.