1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gettysburg-Calvary Battle

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by nuclearboy, Jul 1, 2013.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Gettysburg-Cavalry Battle

I visited Gettysburg on Sunday to watch some re-enactments. It is 150 years since the 3 day battle took place. I was there on the third day of reenactments only. In the morning I saw the East Cavalry Battle.

From Wiki.....
    The East Cavalry Field fighting was an attempt by Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's Confederate cavalry to get into the Federal rear and exploit any success that Pickett's Charge may have generated. Union cavalry under Brig. Gens. David McM. Gregg and George Armstrong Custer repulsed the Confederate advances.

Later in the Day I saw Pickets Charge. I read on CNN that 10,000 re-enactors participated and someone told me that the Canon barage before Pickets charge was the largest amount of these era Canons fired at the same time since the civil war. I will post photos from that battle after I take a look at them. Below are some pictures from the Calvary battle.

I forgot my tripod which was a bummer and I realized that I was not quick enough with my E-PM2 to capture all of the action that I wanted to capture with the settings I would have preferred. The OM-D would have been nice..... The shots were taken with the Panasonic 12-35 and my trusty Olympus 40-150. I had the 25mm and 45mm along and took a few photos with those since they were in my bag. I was missing the 75mm :(

Here is my gallery. Not really thinned out like it should be but if you like horses and the civil war, enjoy...

https://www.adoberevel.com/shares/e...d7dc0/albums/73bab7f67712423b84a3ae9ee4c24c69

A few samples below.

g31.

g06.

g30.

g18.

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Love the last one, Chris. It's time to get the black 75mm soon :wink:.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    GREAT STUFF!!!! :drinks:

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    FYI- Approximately 50,000 Americans lost their lives at Gettysburg.

5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I go to a lot of re-enactments and 10k of them is insane! I would have loved to have been there for all of this. Please post more!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

6. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Thanks,

I will post the photos I have from Pickets Charge tonight. The Canon fire was tremendous.

Here is the CNN coverage for anyone interested.

Thousands at Gettysburg for 150th anniversary - CNN.com

Chris

7. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Totally awesome!:thumbup:

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    These are fantastic. Did you shoot RAW or JPG?

10. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Brilliant, loved all of them but the young boy in No 3 is a stark reminder that young boys of that age were involved .... and still are

11. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

These were all shot jpg and I did zero post processing (other than a crop).

The one photo of the covered bridge on my website link, not posted directly here, used HDR.

Thanks for the note.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The one with the two swordsmen is excellent, an exciting moment.

13. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Wow that's excellent. Can you tell me what settings you used for picture mode, contrast, sharpness, etc? I know a lot of the quality comes from the quality of the lens (especially the 12-35,) but I'd be interested to know your settings. I'm going back and forth on shooting JPG or RAW on my EM5 and pics like these really make me think I'm wasting my time and energy shooting RAW.

14. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I hate to admit it in this forum of photography enthusiasts but I am using the default out of the box settings on my E-PM2.

For this day, I set the ISO to 200 and shot with the aperature as wide as I could (but not at 2.8 because it was too bright) to get the shutter speeds up. I used the optical IS on the Panasonic 12-35 and when I shot with the Olympus 40-150, I used the IBIS.

No special sauce here. I have relied on the Oly jpgs and default processing and the quality of any photos are no fault of the user in this case.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well done! Note that there's a slight difference between cavalry (soldiers who fight on horseback) and Calvary (hill where Jesus was crucified)...

16. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Australia
    Superbly re-enacted, deftly captured.