Getting your photos printed

Discussion in 'Printing' started by atom, Oct 6, 2010.

1. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Not sure what forum this goes under but here goes...

I rarely print photos off, but I want to get some prints (a few of them large).

Do you find that some places quality is much better than others? I've gotten photos printed at the grocery store before and I wasn't impressed with the quality.

Where do you Canadians get your photos printed? I know my mom does her photos at Costco.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Hey atom. In australia Kodak is by the far better one. Just yesterday we had 2 identical photos one in fujifilm paper and the other in Royal Kodak. The Kodak had far better colour rendition.

3. Vulcanrider

Vulcanrider Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2010
    I email my photo files to Kodak.

4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Print your own! :daz:

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Try Mpix.com. Great quality and very fast service and shipping.
    The prices are really great.
    Shooter

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

A second vote for Mpix.com - though I haven't used it myself, yet, I've received a number of prints as gifts from photographers who've used Mpix.

Don, did you use Mpix's calibration tool? I'm not 100% sure how it works, but have heard that it is a good thing to do.

(In the past, I have used Kodak.)

7. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks everyone. I'll give them a shot. Hopefully they ship to Canada for a good price.

8. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've used WHCC a few times with excellent results. They give you a couple free prints right away as a means to calibrate your system for use with their printers.

They ship amazingly fast, too. You upload the files and get the prints a couple days later. I'm not sure how they would operate with Canada mail, tho.

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    What I do with Mpix is to;
    make 2 or 3 images with different color ranges in subject matter.
    Then I make the images ready to go to Mpix. I sent the files up and ...
    I get 1 print made to my profile and no corrections from them and then another print with them doing color correction....

When you get the prints back, it's easy to see which way to send the files up.
    I mostly do B&W, so this isn't an issue unless I tone the images.

The color stuff they do almost makes me want to see in color...can you believe that?!

• Like Like x 2
  10. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    One question: Do you have to have a professional account or do they serve to the mainstream?? I was perusing in their website, but when I saw the questions asked on their account set up, I felt intimidated... :redface:

11. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    They definitely serve the mainstream. You'll need to provide a credit card for them to keep on file. But beyond that, they print as many or as few images as you want, in whatever size you need. I set up my account a few years ago so I don't remember what their questions were (or if they would be the same now). I know they do service a lot of professionals, but I'm just a regular joe who prints just a few images a year with them.

12. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Awesome thanks a bunch!

13. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I print my own. I picked up a very capable Canon PIXMA Pro9000 II printer for under $200, and I can print up to 13x19 with it in professional colors. Lots of people are selling them NIB for cheap because they get them basically for free from Canon when they purchase select cameras. They normally retail for about $500.

For large prints I go to my neighborhood print shop. They do a great job, and I like supporting my local photographic retail community as much as I can since I rely on them so much for my photography needs.

• Like Like x 2