Getting to know my 14-45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Pelao, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I tend to have serious relationships with my lenses. With my 5D, I am in love with my 50/1.4 and 85/1.8.

The 20mm on my GF1 is a gift. Just so very sweet and fun, with endless possibilities.

The 14-45 is different. We're still getting to know each other. I know that it can produce great images - I have seen them online, and (to me the real proof) in print. It's just that I have an iffy relationship with zooms. They bring out my lazy self. Primes force me to move around more: in and out, up and down.

Still, I purchased a 14-45 and have been goofing around with it. I am discovering it's a versatile lens, which can provide some great opportunities for my photography.

Here are a series of shots with it. None of them are particularly good, but I shot them to test how the lens would operate in different light conditions, and in circumstances which require different reaction times.

I hope that this might prove useful to anyone considering a similar zoom.

I always shoot RAW, and PP in LR2, and now LR3. Sometimes I'll visit PS, but that's now much more rare. I find LR3 answers most needs, especially if I get the shot almost right in the first place.

[​IMG]

This was at St Lawrence market in Toronto. This woman was sitting at the next table. Lots of opportunity for cropping, but I found that it worked best for me just as it was taken, with all the other stuff adding atmosphere. No PP at all - just exported.

For street stuff, where I may need to react quickly, I have my GF1 on Auto ISO, with a max of 800. f4.4, 1/30, ISO400. I just tilted the camera, and shot.

[​IMG]

This was shot on my morning walk. Very foggy. I feel that the lens handled the demanding conditions very well. The GF1 was flawless. The photographer questionable.
    f5.6, 1/125, ISO 100 (ISO chosen manually).

[​IMG]

Grabbed this one in my neighbourhood. Awkward angle and lots of stuff distracting from the core, but there was not much I could do in the way of changing composition. Challenging light conditions.
    f5.6, 1/25 ISO400

[​IMG]

While shopping at St Lawrence Market I turned and spotted this gorgeous woman, reflected in a mirror (OK, she happens to be my wife and master). This is where I love my GF1 so much. I had been shooting in the opposite direction, into much brighter light, and glanced over my shoulder to see this. It was a fleeting opportunity. As I turned and raised the camera I changed the aperture, pushed the wheel and altered the exposure comp as it came to my eye (I almost always use the EVF) and grabbed the shot. Autofocus, using the centre point, was virtually instantaneous. What a camera - so easy to change settings without looking, and fast. I as surprised how well the lens handled it.
    f5.6, 1/40 ISO800

[​IMG]

Lunch, or a portion of it. I wanted to see how the colours were handled.
    f3.5, 1/50, ISO100

[​IMG]
    Lunch shot. I cropped a bit, and decided to leave in the background chalkboard for a bit of atmosphere.
    f6.3, 1/40, ISO400

2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm not sure If this was open for C&C, but there seems to be a slight color cast in almost every image. Is anyone else seeing it?

Otherwise nice images and a nice lens. I like to use it for video a lot, since I have shaky hands and the Mega O.I.S. is fabulous

3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Comments are always welcome.

I just checked on 3 different computers, and my wife's iPhone, and I can't spot it. That doesn't mean it isn't there...
    Maybe my eyes are goofy. :confused: