Getting to grips with OMD menus- back button focus

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
In certain circumstances I like to use Back button focus, for example when I don't want to change focus when pressing the shutter button while in AF mode. I have successfully set this up on my OMD E10Mk11 by selecting mode 3 in AEL/AFL but am trying to find a quick way to swap it quickly back to normal. Is there anyway I can do this by reassigning my REC button to change modes from 3 to 1, and from 1 to 3. Please. :dash2:

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
If you just set a function button (I use the red video button) to switch between MF and AF (S-AF), wouldn't that give you what you want? (This isn't back-button focusing or anything.)

For example, if I am doing a panorama, for the first shot (or before it), I want to get focus via AF and get exposure (Aperture mode), but then switch to MF and exposure lock for the rest of the sequence. So I start out with camera in normal AF mode and half-press the shutter button. It sets exposure and does focus. I then press the AEL button to lock exposure only (just press and release - you don't have to hold it down) and the button I have assigned to AF/MF to change to MF. I then take the rest of the shots in the pano, panning to the right. When I am done, I press the AEL button again (to take it out of exposure lock) and the AF/MF button again to return to AF.

Perhaps that is a lot of button pushing, but it has the advantage of being logical and close to the way you normally use the camera, I think.

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Thank you Rich. I will try that out. It seems like it could be a possible solution. I mainly use back button AF if I am photographing bees on flowers or birds in trees and I don't want it to move focus. On a long lens MF sometimes requires lots of adjusting to get it right and the bee has flown away. Now I just need a non rainy day to try out your method.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I use two custom functions on the dial. C1 is setup for SAF, back-button focus, no face/eye-detect, single shot and a few other things. C2 is setup with CAF, focus on shutter button, L burst and face/eye detect. C1 is my "landscape" setting and C2 "people".

I've also got the lever on the back set so that down it's SAF and back-button focus and up it's CAF and shutter focus. I tend to use that when I'm using longer lenses to quickly switch just the focus mode without anything else.

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I use two custom functions on the dial. C1 is setup for SAF, back-button focus, no face/eye-detect, single shot and a few other things. C2 is setup with CAF, focus on shutter button, L burst and face/eye detect. C1 is my "landscape" setting and C2 "people".

I've also got the lever on the back set so that down it's SAF and back-button focus and up it's CAF and shutter focus. I tend to use that when I'm using longer lenses to quickly switch just the focus mode without anything else.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I wrote these notes a while back for someone asking about how to setup the E-M1ii for BBF. The general idea is the same on all Olympus cameras though:

Firstly, whilst I do use C1-C3 for various things, I don't link S-AF/C-AF to them. For that I use the little function lever on the back around the AEL/AFL button (which is also the button I use for activating back-button focus). I find it very natural. Down = S-AF and back-button focus; Up = C-AF and shutter button focus. That way I can change focus mode rapidly without taking the camera from the eye or changing other settings such as ISO, aperture etc (all of which are changed with the C1-C3 settings). On this parenthesised point, I wish Oly would change this and allow partial sets of things to vary by the C1-C3 settings, but they don't. Maybe a firmware update?

Setting up the lever for focus configuration can be tricky, so this is what you need to do... Let's say we want position 1 (down) to be S-AF with back-button focus and position 2 (up) to be C-AF with shutter button focus. Proceed as follows:

1. Set the button mode for S-AF and C-AF:
    1. Go to menu A1 ("AF/MF")
    2. Go to "AEL/AFL" (2nd line)
      1. Set "S-AF" to mode 3
      2. Set "C-AF" to mode 2
      3. Set "MF" to whatever (mode 1 is as good as any)
  2. Set your AEL/AFL button (what's used for the back-button focus)
    1. Go to menu B ("Button/Dial/Lever")
    2. Go to "Button Function" (1st line)
      1. Set AEL/AFL Function to your chosen button (I leave it on AEL/AFL - but Fn1 is also an option)
  3. Set the Fn Lever operation mode:
    2. Go to "Fn Lever Settings" (5th line)
      1. Set "Fn Lever Function" to mode 2
  4. Set AF mode for lever down (position 1):
    1. Put the lever into position 1 (down)
    2. Pull up the SCP (OK button)
    3. Set focus mode to S-AF
    4. Set face-detect on/off as desired
  5. Set the AF mode for lever up (position 2):
    1. Put the lever into position 2 (up)
    3. Set focus mode to C-AF
  6. Sit back and have a coffee!
You can program all this into any of the modes and then save it in C1-C3 if you wish.

If you currently use the lever for setting ISO then perhaps this won't be ideal for you. It doesn't bother me since I've got the "multi-function" button setup to allow me to change ISO. I prefer it that way since it makes it the same on the E-M1 and the Pen (which doesn't have the Fn lever). If you want to keep the Fn Lever for ISO then you can use a C1-C3 setting to switch - but as I said I find that gives unwanted side-effects.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
Thanks, @pdk42 . The E-M10 has no levers, but I get the idea. I see that using the AEL/AFL modes is the way to implement back-button focus, but for most uses I think that just setting one of your buttons to toggle AF/MF (I use the video button) is much easier than fiddling with those AEL/AFL modes. The FN1 button is already set to toggle AEL (I think). No, you cannot focus using a "back" button, but you can separate the focusing from the exposure by just half-press focusing and toggling to MF and/or toggling the AEL on/off.

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I wrote these notes a while back for someone asking about how to setup the E-M1ii for BBF. The general idea is the same on all Olympus cameras though:

Firstly, whilst I do use C1-C3 for various things, I don't link S-AF/C-AF to them. For that I use the little function lever on the back around the AEL/AFL button (which is also the button I use for activating back-button focus). I find it very natural. Down = S-AF and back-button focus; Up = C-AF and shutter button focus. That way I can change focus mode rapidly without taking the camera from the eye or changing other settings such as ISO, aperture etc (all of which are changed with the C1-C3 settings). On this parenthesised point, I wish Oly would change this and allow partial sets of things to vary by the C1-C3 settings, but they don't. Maybe a firmware update?

Setting up the lever for focus configuration can be tricky, so this is what you need to do... Let's say we want position 1 (down) to be S-AF with back-button focus and position 2 (up) to be C-AF with shutter button focus. Proceed as follows:

1. Set "S-AF" to mode 3
      2. Set "C-AF" to mode 2
      1. Set AEL/AFL Function to your chosen button (I leave it on AEL/AFL - but Fn1 is also an option)
You can program all this into any of the modes and then save it in C1-C3 if you wish.

If you currently use the lever for setting ISO then perhaps this won't be ideal for you. It doesn't bother me since I've got the "multi-function" button setup to allow me to change ISO. I prefer it that way since it makes it the same on the E-M1 and the Pen (which doesn't have the Fn lever). If you want to keep the Fn Lever for ISO then you can use a C1-C3 setting to switch - but as I said I find that gives unwanted side-effects.
Hi Paul, thank you for troubling to put this long and thorough explanation, but unfortunately I dont have a lever.

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I think I may have figured out how to do it. Time will tell!
cog A:
Set AEL/AFL, S-AF to mode 1, C-AF to mode 2, MF - to mode 3.
Cog B:
Button/Dial, Button Function. I set my record button to MF. ( I very seldom take videos)
My fn1 button was left at its default AEL/AFL (this is going to be used now to initiate autofocus when in MF mode),then I can compose and press shutter to take photo. Hurray I have back button AF.:2thumbs:
When I switch back to S-AF my camera operates normally in shutter AF.
I haven't tested it out with C-AF yet. Too wet and cold outside.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
cog A:
Set AEL/AFL, S-AF to mode 1, C-AF to mode 2, MF - to mode 3.
I think you might want to use C-AF in mode 4. I think this gets you what you want. In S-AF everything is default normal (half press of shutter focuses). For C-AF mode 2 also focuses on half shutter button. If you switch to mode 4, nothing happens when you half press the shutter and pressing the AEL/AFL button will do the focusing (back button focus). So you can switch between S-AF (normal focusing) and C-Af (back button focus).

One advantage of that mode is when in C-AF it is sort of like a combo S-AF & C-AF. Press the back button to focus and let go (sort of S-AF). Shoot with the shutter button. Or HOLD the back button to keep continiously focusing. Let go when you want to stop and/or press the shutter to take the photo.

MF to Mode 3 does the same thing but you only get a S-AF when you press the back button rather than continuous with C-AF mode 4. But an advantage of doing it in MF mode is you can assign a button to switch to MF so you only need to hit one button to switch into MF mode where as switching from S-AF to C-AF might take a couple presses and/or dials (for example, OK to get into the SCP, dial turn to get the focus modes, another dial turn to pick C-AF).

Have fun.

turkuaz33

Mu-43 Rookie

1. Set "S-AF" to mode 3
      2. Set "C-AF" to mode 2

:bravo-009:

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
In certain circumstances I like to use Back button focus, for example when I don't want to change focus when pressing the shutter button while in AF mode. I have successfully set this up on my OMD E10Mk11 by selecting mode 3 in AEL/AFL but am trying to find a quick way to swap it quickly back to normal. Is there anyway I can do this by reassigning my REC button to change modes from 3 to 1, and from 1 to 3. Please. :dash2:
When I had an EM5.2 that was one of my annoyances: I sometimes use a half-press of the shutter to AF and lock focus. Other times I preferred to use a back button to do the same thing. With my Nikon and Panasonic cameras I could use either option whenever I wanted but on the EM5.2 it was either one or the other. The EM5.2 always required additional pushes/switches (can't recall how I used to do it) to switch between back button and shutter half-press.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom