Getting the Olympus FL-LM3 to work with the Panasonic GX8

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I recently acquired a Panasonic DMC-GX8. One of my concerns was the lack of a flash. I rarely used it on my previous G7, but it did come in handy every now and then. I did some research and found threads elsewhere that spoke about the Oly FL-LM3 that comes with the OM-D E-M5 II.

With some easy modifications, this flash can be made to work with the GM5 and the GX8. Most other references say that you only need to shave off about a millimeter off the front lip of the plastic stand till its flush with the post.

UPDATE 16/03/28: I saw a review from someone that said he didn't have to shave off the front to get it to fit. I'd suggest shaving off the ridges at the back first to see if that makes it fit snugly. Those might be the real obstacles rather than the front lip and it would maintain the weather sealing in front.

Before:
20733398742_c121dffc9e_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AFTER:
20716479736_a00a793f71_o.jpg

However. When I did this the flash still didn't slide all the way in and lock into place even though it wasn't bumping at the front of the shoe. You could still see the exposed contacts from the back of the flash unit as well.

FL-LM3-Exposed Contacts.jpg

The Flash would fire sometimes but if you tried to tilt or rotate the head it would lose connectivity and not fire. Some people complained about this behaviour in the forums.

Examining the plastic guide on the flash and on the Hotshoe cover of the camera I noticed that the flash's guide is more wedge shaped and had ridges at the back. Once I filed those down a bit it slid in perfectly. This was the missing step from the guides online.

FL-LM3-GX8 Mods.png

IMG_20160325_232603534.jpg

This is a surprisingly powerful and versatile little flash considering its diminutive size. When its on it suits the GX8 rather nicely but it's also a breeze to carry around.

faf9c6ff-285c-4bcf-b568-1a5162a6f7ae.jpg

Last edited:

Ireland1988

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Jake
Hi, I filed down the flash and it seems to be fitting. The camera is aware its there but the flash is not going off. The flash symbol on the camera LCD blinks red when I try to use it... also my camera crashes now and again while its mounted. Any ideas?

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi, I filed down the flash and it seems to be fitting. The camera is aware its there but the flash is not going off. The flash symbol on the camera LCD blinks red when I try to use it... also my camera crashes now and again while its mounted. Any ideas?

There are 2 electrical contacts on the sides of the mount. Are you sure u didn't damage them?

upload_2016-10-30_14-10-27.png

WGPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
This is by far THE best accessory I've bought. Recently, my Nissin flash was causing issues with batteries so I switched to the LM3 to save an event. It worked so well; way better than I imagined. I just bounced it and although recharge times can be slow sometimes, I didn't lose any shots I wanted. Great tip as well in the OP's post, thanks.

west4

New to Mu-43
Hi did you ever fix this. I have exactly the same thing it's driving me mad!

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry for digging up this thread again, but exactly the same happened to me: After doing the filing, the flash will get warm but will not fire. I did the modification to make it work on a GM5, but now it doesn't work on the E-M1 II it came with, either. Both cameras show the flash as charging, then produce an underexposed shot (because no flash fired).

I checked the fit and AFAICT, it fits well. It was actually working on the GM5 before the filing, but wouldn't lock into the hot shoe, which is why I did the mod in the first place.

Did I break my flash? :frown:

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Had exactly same outcome with brand new fl lm3 flash. Lasted for about 10 flashes. Gave up when hard lockups started.
Did you modify yours or did it just break on its own, so to speak?

bmhome1

just an old pro
Real Name
Bruce
I did the standard shaving off of lip mentioned everywhere. This isn't the only reports of the flash dying rapidly. What spooked me from further pursuits was the hard camera lock ups. There's something wrong with the combinations IMO.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom