1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Getting the Olympus FL-LM3 to work with the Panasonic GX8

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by CyVan, Mar 28, 2016.

1. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I recently acquired a Panasonic DMC-GX8. One of my concerns was the lack of a flash. I rarely used it on my previous G7, but it did come in handy every now and then. I did some research and found threads elsewhere that spoke about the Oly FL-LM3 that comes with the OM-D E-M5 II.

With some easy modifications, this flash can be made to work with the GM5 and the GX8. Most other references say that you only need to shave off about a millimeter off the front lip of the plastic stand till its flush with the post.

UPDATE 16/03/28: I saw a review from someone that said he didn't have to shave off the front to get it to fit. I'd suggest shaving off the ridges at the back first to see if that makes it fit snugly. Those might be the real obstacles rather than the front lip and it would maintain the weather sealing in front.

Before:
    20733398742_c121dffc9e_o.
    AFTER:
    20716479736_a00a793f71_o.

However. When I did this the flash still didn't slide all the way in and lock into place even though it wasn't bumping at the front of the shoe. You could still see the exposed contacts from the back of the flash unit as well.

FL-LM3-Exposed Contacts.

The Flash would fire sometimes but if you tried to tilt or rotate the head it would lose connectivity and not fire. Some people complained about this behaviour in the forums.

Examining the plastic guide on the flash and on the Hotshoe cover of the camera I noticed that the flash's guide is more wedge shaped and had ridges at the back. Once I filed those down a bit it slid in perfectly. This was the missing step from the guides online.

FL-LM3-GX8 Mods.
    IMG_20160325_232603534.
    This is a surprisingly powerful and versatile little flash considering its diminutive size. When its on it suits the GX8 rather nicely but it's also a breeze to carry around.

faf9c6ff-285c-4bcf-b568-1a5162a6f7ae.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Thank you for a fantastic write up with descriptions on how to pull off this mod.

3. Ireland1988

Ireland1988 New to Mu-43

Oct 29, 2016
    Jake
    Hi, I filed down the flash and it seems to be fitting. The camera is aware its there but the flash is not going off. The flash symbol on the camera LCD blinks red when I try to use it... also my camera crashes now and again while its mounted. Any ideas?

4. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    There are 2 electrical contacts on the sides of the mount. Are you sure u didn't damage them?

upload_2016-10-30_14-10-27.

5. WGPhotography

WGPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2016
    Wayne
    This is by far THE best accessory I've bought. Recently, my Nissin flash was causing issues with batteries so I switched to the LM3 to save an event. It worked so well; way better than I imagined. I just bounced it and although recharge times can be slow sometimes, I didn't lose any shots I wanted. Great tip as well in the OP's post, thanks.