Getting the most out of the 45mm. Filter, hood, both?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Fish, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    First off, I have to say that I LOVE this lens. It has completely exceeded my every expectation.

Before I even left the store, I put a B+W UV filter on it to protect the front element - but since then I have started to wonder if that might negatively impact image quality. After all - Olympus engineers built this lens with 9 elements and who am I to be adding glass to it? In terms of IQ, would I have been better served getting the hood instead?

I would love to hear what people think about the following:

- should you use a UV filter with this lens?

- should you use a hood with this lens?

2. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    When I ordered mine, I could see that it was going to be difficult to get the Olympus hood. So, I ordered a folding, black rubber third-party hood off ebay at the same time that I ordered the 45mm.

The hood came first so I used it from day one with the lens. It's great because it folds back. And becasue it's rubber it helps to cushion those ocassional knocks.

Oh, yeah, it's also keeps those stray rays (and fingers, etc) off the lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    Do you have a link to the hood you bought bill?
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

I've stopped my old habit of worrying over filters. I no longer bother with them as a means of protection.

Lens hoods though, I'm a firm believer in using a lens hood always. Walk outside, look around. Now make a visor of your hands and shade your eyes from extraneous light. See the difference?

Try it while looking toward a horizon point.
    Try it indoors when there is an extraneous light source angled toward you.

Ever been on a boat looking out over the ocean or a lake? Need a visor to help from squinting, yes?

The lens hood provides protection from all that reflected extraneous light.

Here's a thread from lat year, everyone's opinion on using a filter to protect your lens.

Cheers, Alan
  5. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks Bill! From what I have read a lens hood will always help with better contrast in photos. Maybe I should look at a folding one like you have. Does it screw into the filter threads or use the lens' bayonet?

Thanks Alan! I should have looked for that thread before posting a new one...
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Last night I ordered some metal screw on lens hoods... I just eBay searched for "metal lens hood 37/46(to suit 12/17/20/45)"

I just realized I got a silver one for the 20, and black one for the 20/45... Grumble... Lol

- Eliot
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Disaster! (do you have painting skillz that killz?)
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm about to!

*googles "z0mg I needz skillz, yo!"*

For the low cost, I'll prolly sharpie marker the silver one something crazy, and figure something brilliant out for the black one later... Lol

- Eliot
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    This subject comes up so much it isn't even funny. You are right: Olympus put 9 precision-made elements into the lens design, and each one helps focus the image. What does that filter do? Absolutely nothing to help the image, that's what. Take the filter off. Even if you somehow manage to scratch your front element, it will likely cost less to send off to Olympus repair than replacing that B+W filter anyway. This argument will never be settled; there are people that feel just as enthusiastically as me that believe that you MUST have a filter on a lens, so really you're going to have to make your own decision.

I like lens hoods. Any time you keep stray light from shining across your lens elements, you're reducing artifacts.
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Let's not forget, a hood makes you look pro, a filter makes yer perdy lens look like a quantaray! ;) lol!

- Eliot
  12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The only filter you need is ND filter. Either ND8 (3-stop) or ND16 (4-stop). This will allow you to shoot wide open outdoors in the sun. Since I got this lens couple of weeks ago, I have yet to try any other aperture but f1.8
  13. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    I am wishing that I had gotten the ND filter instead! At my E-PL2's base 200 iso, I have to stop the lens down quite a bit when it's sunny. And thanks for the tip on which filter I need.

Maybe I will buy a ND filter and trade my UV filter for a lens hood...

And I know it is not payment for the helpful advice I've gotten in this thread, but here are some photos that I took last week with my 45mm while out with the family (had to resize for posting but did not crop or sharpen):