Getting the best Colour Setting on the GF1 (updated! I'll kindly send RAW preset)

Obijon

New to Mu-43
Hi Icon-
I'm a new Forum member, a GF1 user, shooting in RAW and learning to post-process in Aperture. I would love a copy of your presets! I'll send you a pm with my email.

Thanks

Obijon

New to Mu-43
Thanks Icon - presets received! Can't 'till the weekend to give it a try. :smile:

junk_space

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks Icon for sharing your findings! I'm a new member here as well (a bit obsessed with my Panasonic maybe like some of you) and really appreciate the information! I'd love the presets as well if you're still able to pass along. I'll pm my email. Thanks!

lkgroup

Mu-43 Rookie
Aperture sounds really good for the G1. Does anyone recommend a similar program that handles the RAW from the G1 for the Windows platform?

Leo

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Icon for sharing your findings! I'm a new member here as well (a bit obsessed with my Panasonic maybe like some of you) and really appreciate the information! I'd love the presets as well if you're still able to pass along. I'll pm my email. Thanks!

Thanks heaps. I love to share with others. I've sent 2 presets over for you to have fun with. (Yeah I'm obsessed with my pana + my macbook pro!)

Aperture sounds really good for the G1. Does anyone recommend a similar program that handles the RAW from the G1 for the Windows platform?

I haven't used a windows based programs before but I did a little research and the closest app that resembles Apple's Aperture is Bibble 5 Pro. I'm not sure whether it takes presets at all. A really cool fella on this forum 'Grebeman' uses Bibble and he would be more than willing to answer any questions about it.

Cheerio,
icon

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Aperture 3 Presets for Gf1

Thanks Brady!

This was an interesting older thread, for those of us only recently jumping on the m43 / Aperture wagon, it was also very helpful.

I used the preset created by Brady,who was kind enough to send it along, and it offered an opportunity to experience his setting preference.

As well as seeing what someone, who has been using the system, has determined to be an improvement in RAW import.

I'm rather surprised this topic doesn't garner more discussion, especially among newer m43 users.

Thanks Brady, and I hope others will chip in and share settings for import..

theflyer

Mu-43 Regular
hey icon,

i'm brand new to aperture and shooting in RAW. i'd love to check out your preset. pm sent.

many thanks,
Andrew.

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thankyou guys for your interest. I enjoy being able to give something that may be useful.

To show the effect of the preset for new viewers.
Raw image exported as jpeg without preset

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5397904396/" title="P1070771 - Version 2 by iconindustries, on Flickr"> View attachment 156512 "640" height="428" alt="P1070771 - Version 2" /></a>

Raw image with preset and exported as jpeg

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5397900444/" title="P1070771 - Version 3 by iconindustries, on Flickr"> View attachment 156513 "640" height="428" alt="P1070771 - Version 3" /></a>

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
XRite Color Passport

I'm not sure if "best" color or most accurate color is what you are looking for. I've been using the X Rite Color Passport for about a year and I'm very happy with what it's done for me. Basically, you take a photo of it (RAW) and use the software that comes with it to create a custom color profile for your camera. That profile is installed into LR or CS5. From that point, you just take the photos and impose the profile. The adjustments are made quickly and accurately. Visit the link below and watch the video.

It was the best $100 I've spent.

X-Rite: Get exactly the color you need, every time, anywhere in the world.

pjohngren

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The GF1 and G1 shoot incredibly great JPEGs when you preset the camera to your own taste. I set the white balance to "Cloudy" but fine tune it one notch toward blue and three notches down toward magenta. I set the Film Mode to Dynamic, but cut back on the contrast -1 and the noise reduction -1 and increase the saturation +1 and the sharpenning +1. I then use the live histogram to set the exposure compensation while shooting in Aperature priority. That's it - the color is superb and the images require hardly any post processing. The results are totally consistant with variations being dependent on the varying light out there and not negated by changing the white balance - ever.

I view these settings as analagous to choosing your favorite film, but even better as it is my own favorite film.

As to changing the white balance to fit the situation, I don't. That makes no sense to me. If the light is changing, why would I want to neutralize it? I want to see the different colors of light. Setting the camera as above allows the light to shine through - if it is warm, it will be warm - if it is cool or gray or weird, it will be cool or gray or weird. Why make everything the same? I shot with these setting recently indoors with incansescent light, and it looked like indoors with incondescent light - very warm and golden.

I now find absolutely no need to shoot RAW. The pictures are great right out of the camera, the color is great, and the camera works on the RAW data beautifully all on its own, according to the settings I have entered. To say that I am happy would be an understatement. I love my G1 and GF1.

rainyseason

Mu-43 Regular
I'm new to GF1 and raw and would love to have your presets for aperture

I just sent you a PM about sending me your presets for Aperture
Thanks,
Mark

itgirl8

New to Mu-43
Hi, I'm new to photography and found this thread while researching how to get the best use out of my GF1. Would love to try the presets please. Thanks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom