1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Getting the best battery life out of my G2 for night timelapse?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by antifuse, Oct 19, 2011.

1. antifuse

antifuse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2011
    Ok, so my intervalometer finally showed up (for reference, I bought one of these: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220806423928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - works great with the G2, but took its SWEET time to get here. I guess for $20 with free shipping from China, can't really complain :)), so I decided to give it a shot messing around with some timelapses at last. My big problem seems to be battery life though - I tried twice, and only got just over 100 shots both times before the battery died. One was starting about an hour before sunset, and lasted until about an hour after sunset (give or take) before the battery died. The second one started around 9pm, and lasted until just after 1am. 100 shots exactly the first time, 116 the second time. Now, I get that they are night exposures, so I'm not going to get a frame a second or anything... But this seems like a small amount of exposures to get per charge. I was wondering if any G2 users might have some tips for things to try to expand my battery life?

Things I've done wrong, I think:
    - Left on auto-focus, even though I set auto-focus lock on. I think I'm going to try just doing manual focus next time to see if that makes a difference
    - Left on long exposure noise reduction. I'm not shooting at iso 6400 here, if I want to do noise reduction I can bust out some batch noise reduction after the fact. This also effectively gives me HALF the shots I would normally get, since it just takes another exposure with the shutter closed right after, and takes up processing time (and hence, battery life) to apply the noise reduction.

Things I've done right, I think:
    - turn off the LCD, via cycling the display button until the LCD is off (is there a better way to do this to ensure that the LCD is off for sure?)

I'm not sure, but it seems like the exif info isn't reporting the shutter speed correctly on my shots either... It's showing 60 seconds exactly for every shot from the night time sequence, which in aperture priority mode seems like a heck of a coincidence that it's EXACTLY 60 seconds at f/11. Haven't messed around more, but going to have another look and see how it reports on manual (ie bulb) exposures longer than 60 seconds.

Any tips from fellow G2 users who've done timelapse work, I'd love to hear them! I'm planning on picking up the AC adapter (B&H has them for pretty cheap), but obviously that's only good if I'm doing timelapses somewhere with easy plug-in access :)