1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

getting started...decisions...hmmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by newfie, Jan 15, 2015.

1. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    Hi Folks,

I new here. I posted the below question on another site with some great responses but I can't think of a better place to ask so here goes!!!

I have only dslr nikon flashes, bodies, lenses and so forth. I travel allot for work and don't often bother with my dslr.

i'd love to have something I could throw in an overnight bag or my glove box. I don't want to spend much as I'm not looking to reinvest in a whole new system, just something small and good IQ and used. I'd like to be able to adapt my nikon lens to it from time to time or even buy some cheap 3rd party manual lenses off ebay to play around with.

Someone told me a panasonic g3 might be a good start, any opinions?

PS features are not important, keeping in mind i may need an EVF with manual focus lenses...maybe??? what do you think?

2. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    i'm now thinking maybe smaller like gx1 or epl2.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    What's your budget for body+ kit lens?

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'll stand by what I said on the other site ;)

G3 or possibly G5.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'll throw a used Olympus EM5 into the mix with either a 17 or 25 f/1.8

You get IBIS, so if you want to use any of your Nikon lenses, you can with the stabilization already there. Prices are probably going to plummet with the EM5 Mk II just around the corner.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Olympus E-M10, next question.

But seriously. I shoot Nikon professionally and have or have had many different Nikon bodies in addition to one Panasonic and now 4 Olympus bodies. The E-P5 and OM-D feel VERY familiar, and the E-M10 may be the best size/price option. The next question would be lenses? Primes? Zooms? And how fast do you like your glass?

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think some of us are overlooking the fact that the OP doesn't want to spend much...

8. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    tight budget. $200-300 for used body and lens. not looking to reinvest in a new system.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Panasonic G5 and call it a day.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Had a GX1, like the build, feel, images, and the way the rear dial could function as two dials with a simple push. But I really disliked the q-menu, physical function buttons, and on screen functions buttons. I couldn't get all the function I regularly wanted to change all in one place.

I've never used the E-PL2 but it's the older sensor and there is a noticeable difference between that generation sensor and the current sensors. The E-PL5/E-PM2 are the newer sensors and where I would start if you go that route. I can't remember if the GX1 sensor is same as the E-PL5 or not, but it's better than the E-PL3 / E-PM1, I have the E-PM1 before I got the GX1.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Actually I didn't over look it. But he didn't have a number when I posted that. I had noticed his for sale / trade post before I say this thread where he note he has a Nikon FX setup. Other than the 75-300 I just picked up everything else I have costs less than the cheapest FX lens I have, so not spending too much can be very relative. :wink:

12. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I still use the EPL2 all the time and it is a fabulous camera. 12mp sensor is old but it is very sharp and the auto focus is very fast. And the used prices are great.

• Like Like x 2