Getting ready to print

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by DLagerstrom, Sep 20, 2013.

1. DLagerstrom

DLagerstrom New to Mu-43

May 26, 2012
    Hi all,

I am new to the forum, been lurking for quite a while. Grew up with a darkroom in the house but never have learned much about digital PP.

Attached is an image I would like to send out for printing. Looking for any suggestions as to what I should do with it to get it ready. I will probably print 12" x 16" or close.

Shot with EM-5 and PL 25mm

Thanks in advance.

-Dave in Minnesota

Attached Files:

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Here are a few tips that might be helpful - I hope it's not "teaching you to suck eggs" though.

- Make sure your monitor is calibrated. It's impossible to get accurate colour if you don't.

- if you're sending to a lab, then use TIFF or some other lossless format (not jpeg). The differences are subtle, and you might not notice it at 12x16, but at larger sizes you probably will, especially if the JPEGs are at a lower quality level (hgher compression).

- Pay attention to the sharpening. You'll probably need to play around a bit. Some PP packages add output sharpening over and above whatever sharpening you add during editing. This may or may not be desirable depending on the size of the print. your lab and your taste.

- if you're planning on printing very large (much bigger then 12x16), then you'll probably need to upscale. There are packages specifically that do this (e.g. Perfect Resize), but Photoshop and Lightroom can do it too. Use of the in-built Bicubic Smoother whilst upsizing will give more pleasing results.

- be prepared for a few failures until you get the hang of it!

Hope this helps!
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    just to add to the advices above.

TALK to the Lab/Printer. They all have similar methods but may differ, specially in color calibration methods.

They will suggest the best way to deliver a great file for a great print.

They can even send you their printing color profile for you to 'see' how THEY will 'see' your photo, therefore how is its going to be printed. So thats important.