Getting lost in a Trough

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I love backpacking, but I don't like running in to other people. Luckily 99.9% of the people who visit this amazing outdoors town stay in the main haunts. This trail is supposedly an old cattle trail that eventually heads down to Kane Creek canyon. I could not find any info on the googs. I left after work and it was just perfect. No wind, fairly warm temps and clearish skies. I brought the OMD EM1 mk3, 12-40, 8mm and RRS table top tripod.

The flowers were starting to bloom, always a good sign.
P4240168.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P4230014.jpeg
P4230013.jpeg

Set up camp in an amazing spot. Lots of signs of cattle grazing, so it was a challenge to find a cow pie free area.
P4230064.jpeg

The night had a bright moon, but a midnight toss and turn let me get that dark sky shot.
P4240079.jpeg

After a breakfast of PB&J I set out.
P4240097.jpeg

Small stream, where I guess you could purify water, but with all the cattle action, I'd pass.
P4240131.jpeg

And back up the steep canyon .
P4240149.jpeg
P4240180.jpeg
P4240211.jpeg

P4240219.jpeg

What was neat to me, I guess I usually go in the winter. So going on a day with a low of 40°F and a high of 60°F meant I did not need to bring a big 0° bag, big mittens, stove, etc. I had a fairly light pack opting for a 45° bag, ultralight pad and just a fleece, puffy coat and ultralight down pants for sleeping. I am basically not sore/stiff at all.
Anyhow thanks for looking!

-Joe

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom