Getting into the M43 game cheaply.. sorta.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by psknapp, Feb 16, 2013.

1. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I wasn't taking my t2i with me because it was too awkward and bulky, so I decided to down-size and really liked the look of the Olympus PEN cameras. I found a good deal on a refurbished e-pl2 from Cameta, but they only had the silver (I preferred the black).

Instead of waiting, I bought it and looked around for some ways to make it more mine. So, I looked for wraps/skins and found there were not many options. However, I found a couple good reviews of the skins from aki-asahi (I highly recommend him - fits great and fast shipping).

Well, it arrived yesterday (4 days after the bodycap lens). It's looks great, in my opinion. I like it even better than the black e-pl2. Here it is:

So far, it's just cost $300 for the camera (1 year warranty) and skin and lens. Not a bad start. The Sigma 19 and 30 are next. And I do want to change to a wrist strap, so time to start looking for that and a cheap camera case.

I can wait to start using it. Should be fun!

So here is my e-pl2. Can't wait to have some fun with it.
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group. Nice looking E-PL2 there - hope it serves you well!

One other "budget" lens you may want to check out is the Panasonic 14mm. It can be had for $160 or so new on Ebay and it isn't much bigger than that cap lens.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    E-PL2 still rocks! I have nothing but love for mine! :2thumbs:
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I can't help but worry that you're starting with the worst lens out of the whole system!
    Did you at least get the kit zoom 14-42 too? It's quite good.
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It does look nice. You'll find the 19 and 30 to be much better than the 15, although the 15 is fun.
  6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Camera looks great- hope you have fun with it!
  7. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I love working with primes, so I'll add that to my wish list.
  8. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Don't worry, I know how limited the bodycap lens is. I did get the kit lens and the Sigma lenses are on their way. Had to sell my Canon lenses first.
  9. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    That's what I expect. Since I'm not trying to make money off of it, it's all about fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Same here, all about fun with the :43:. Agree about black bodies, I was luck enough to pickup my gently used E-PM1 with the Franiec grip.

Have the kit, 100-300, and Fotodiox adapter for my Nikon stuff. Will add the P14, might add the body cap. But for now that's probably it.

Welcome to the club.
  11. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I prefer silver bodies because both black and silver lenses look great on a silver body, but only black lenses look good on a black body.

However, what you did with your silver body is a great idea, it looks better than either plain silver or plain black.
  12. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I just ordered the black refurb E-PL2 body from Cameta yesterday (bargain at $170) as a backup body to my OM-D.

Yours looks great with the black Aki-Asahi skin. :thumbup:
  13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum - I like that look, definitely classic. :cool:
  14. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome! The skin turned out better than I had hoped so I am looking forward to taking it with me a lot in the future.
  15. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
  16. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Welcome to the forum. I think you will really like the two Sigmas. I have them both and one is almost always on my camera. I just got the 30 so its the one I'm using the most right now. I also use legacy lenses quite a bit, but less now that I have the Sigmas.
  17. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Sounds like a great way to get in for very little money, and very good choices for the money.