Getting into Advertising Photography. Opinions on this image please?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Aug 13, 2013.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    People may know me for shooting more fashion and portraiture, but one thing I really want to get into is more commercial and advertising photography in the style of Matt Hawthorne, Tim Tadder, Dave Hill, and Erik Almas.

So here is my first foray into commercial work with a fitness shoot that I did this weekend. What do you guys think?

Shot with the Panasonic GH3 and the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8, and lit with 2 Einsteins

Shutter: 1/160s
    Aperture: f/8.0
    ISO: 200
    Focal Length: 12 mm

Be sure to like me on Facebook: Facebook.com/fotosiamo

And visit my website: Fotosiamo.com

9499604817_a50e3ebca1_h.

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    You are way better than I am, but since you asked (and I've spend a little time in the gym)...

Love the lighting. It does a nice job of accentuating the arm muscles.

I'm not loving the pose/camera angle. I don't think it flatter the model's butt. Maybe the model's form is bad and she is bent at the waist (I'd expect her to be a straight line from ankles to shoulders). OTOH, maybe that is the model's shape - in which case I'd have gone for matching black shorts instead of a bold print.

I think that left arm is the strongest element in the shot, so that's what I would try to maximize. The hair on her left should might be hiding some great shoulder muscles.

It looks like her left calf is relaxed. If she was on her toes I think that her calf muscles would show up better. Another variation would be to have the model lift her left leg in line with the right arm (toes pointed back).

I wonder how the right hand would look if the fingers were all together.

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    She was actually going through the whole workout w/ her trainer, since we were also shooting video. Would be great to get the best posture, but I like this angle a lot myself.

Plus, I do have alternate angles that I will process that will complement this image, as well as with other exercises =)

4. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Image currently unavailable.

5. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    But your website is pretty cool.

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks. All fixed!

7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Ah, shooting during a work out. Yeah, that is tough.

8. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Nice man. Love your work.

9. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Not bad but, as an advertising designer myself, I think that particular pose would be better if there was more empty space to the left. Reason, for possible advertising text without crowding the image. Her reach leads that way and a designer would want to take advantage of the direction to point to their message possibly. Sometimes a looser crop is better because it gives designers more options.

It is also a very niche type of pose. I think maybe something a little different and more generic unless you are targeting a specific exercise might work better.

Otherwise, I think it is pretty nice. I like the lighting. Just my 2 cents :cool:

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So that was you :wink:
    I'm an avid fitness & bodybuilder fan & if you're looking to get in that industry, some of well known shooters are Dan Ray, Gene X Hwang, Jeff Binns, and Isaac Hinds just to name a few that you might want to synch with :smile:

11. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yea, there were quite a few angles for this particular exercise, as well as the other works. I'll post them up once I get them going. I usually take 2-4 hours on a retouching edit =)

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I can't really comment on the exercise aspects, but ThomD has done that well, and I can't disagree with anything he said.

My one comment is that I think I would connect with the subject (the model) a lot more if I could see a bit more of her face.

13. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes, there'll be other images where you can see the model's face. This is only the first of the series.

14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Your website is excellent.
    And this photo, while technically very good, leave me... The pose and composition don't seem right (to me) somehow, though the lighting and exposure are spot-on. Maybe try a lower angle and a little more empty space on the left, as was mentioned above.
    Just my two cents.

15. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I actually did try added more empty space on the left and it felt really unbalanced, so I cropped it in.

Pose-wise, I don't have one that was lower because I had some low-angles from the front and I was looking for a higher-angled alternate shots. Probably would be good to have more options next time, though.

What was tough was me switching from full-blown video to stills for each scene (4-5 Einsteins on C-stands and rollers for stills, two ARRI 650ws and the Einstein modeling lights for video). It was still quite a bit of work in prep and shooting despite having an hour to setup and 3 hours to shoot, as well as having 4 assistants.

16. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    My motto: Small Camera, Big Lights ;)

17. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Jesus dude. And I was happy when I upped my arsenal of speedlights from 1 to 3.

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's a nice image, and your technical skills are there, but it's really difficult to judge on its own, outside the context of an actual ad or assignment. In advertising, you are usually working with a Creative Director or Designer that has a Concept of what they are trying to achieve. That Concept has likely been brainstormed with the copywriter and vetted with the account team and possibly client. In some cases, the Concept begins to manifest itself as a headline, tagline, and rough sketch of the photo desired, and these are shared with the photographer. A good advertising photographer will add their creativity to the mix, but nearly always in support of the Concept.

For example, if the concept for this photo was "Get on the Ball. Get to the Gym." then this photo might work. But if the concept was, "High Energy Workouts" then this photo is probably off the mark.

So if you want to get into advertising photography, work with a designer friend to develop some concepts that you then try to visualize with photography.

Hope this helps.

19. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes, that would be a good idea. This was more for my friend the fitness model and I had the idea of making it more like a commercial fitness shoot. What was tough was that although we had a free location to shoot, it didn't necessarily had great background elements. Also, her trainer kept on pushing to do things his way, especially in shooting the video first, so I had to contend to making quite a bit of compromises that ended up eating up too much time.

But it was a great learning experience and even the stills lighting was thought up on the fly because we only had the video lights up for this first shoot. I came up w/ the lighting (all gridded) right away and got it measured down quickly.

I am down for more collaborating with creatives and art director in creating more cohesive and definite concepts, as well as getting better at pre-production. Thank goodness for me that studio lighting is the relatively easy part, haha.

20. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    JambaJoe is awful. His work is amateur at best and his lighting needs work...JK.

This guys is one of the best in the m43 world, in my opinion. Good job, buddy. Looking forward to our next collaboration.