1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Getting image links from iPad- arrrrgghhh!

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Kaiser, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    This is sooo frustrating and wondering if anyone has the ideal solution.
    Basically on IOS8 (ipad 4th gen) there is no easy way to copy an image link from SmugMug or 500px- on either of the apps or through Safari. The copy/paste function is flawed in iO8 and the apps have no function to give you an image link in a size of your choice. This is one of the main reasons I have image hosting and to have to fire up the Mac to do this instead of the iPad seems pretty inconvinient. A glaring oversight that doesnt seem to get fixed with each app update.

While Im on the subject of crap software and UI- a big thank you to Apple for making my ipad virtually useless as a downlaoding/viewing device. Using the camera connection kit, image previews now take about 4 seconds per image to load- and it also messes with the original file size. This was fixed sometime in iOS7- but low and behold- the error is now back with iOS8- fantastic!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I have not tried it with these specific websites so it may or may not work, but I use Chrome on my iPad and I can simply hold my finger on a image which then brings up the option to open the image in a new tab. I do this which in turn then gives me the URL for the image in the address bar. I can then copy and paste from there. Not the best but it does work.

Regards
    Andrew

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks- I tried your suggestion and it seems to work kinda for 500px- but only for the size that you origninally uploaded. Better than what I had before though.

4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Flickr allows you access to what you want via their website on Safari, though possibly not through their iPad app (Def not through the iPhone version of the app). Not the help you really need but points out the fact that SmugMug and 500px *could* offer this if they wanted to -- fire off an email to both with your complaints and point out that if Flickr can do it...

5. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Hi,
    I had the same problem with the import, just filed a bug report...
    Did you have the chance to test with ios 8.1.2 released on the 9th Dec? I didn't install it yet, just found out...
    Pedro.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    I haven't installed 8.1.2- as far as I could see it was just a minor security update, but who knows.
    Really need to get the import speed via camera connection kit back to normal.

7. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    They also state bug fixes, but don't specify which ones, so hopefully... ;)

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    No such luck. Just updated to 8.1.2. If anything its even worse , with more keyboard lag and more Safari crashes.

It's almost as if it is reading the RAW instead of the embedded preview jpeg. Video thumbnails load up almost instantly?

9. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Yeah, I tried myself yesterday evening and no luck.
    "reading the RAW?" good idea... Looks like a possibility... It's a test I'll do tonight, just with jpeg's, see how long it takes.

10. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Hi.
    Well, it looks like you may be right.
    When the card has only jpeg's the thumbnails appear instantly. When there are RAW's it takes "ages"...
    So, I tried with a RAW + monochrome jpeg... To see which one it displayed in the thumbnail...
    It takes a lot of time, again like it's reading the RAW, but then shows the image in black and white, so it's apparently loading the RAW, but then shows the jpeg...
    Or does the RAW contain info on a filter that was applied to create the jpeg??

It really makes no sense to me... Going to create another bug report :(

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I thought that was a feature? I friend of mine dumped their iPad because they couldn't do any photo sharing/copying or whatever with non-iPad devices. On the otherhand, many of my relatives have all bought iPads/iPhones because it's the only way they can effectively communicate with their kids that exclusively use iPhones. Viva la revoluciĆ³n!

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My family gave me an iPad for my last birthday after I had a cheap android tablet die on me. Maybe I shouldn't have said I'll try an iPad next!

13. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    From what I could find out searching the web, this same or similar problem happened on some version of ios7, and was corrected in a minor 7.x version...
    Hopefully it will get corrected for ios8.2... or 8.2.1, or... hope before ios9...