1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Getting frustrated

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BrianT, Jan 27, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010
    Leeds
    I have never liked reflex cameras but when digital came along I went the D100,D200 then D300 route, as I progressed towards bankruptcy my interest in photography waned proportionally. The announcement of the Micro 4/3 seemed like salvation. I bought a GF1 20mm f1.7 and an EVF together with a Novaflex adaptor.

So was it salvation? Yes, I was completely bowled over with the performance of the tiny sensor and the lens was superb. The EVF was a mixed blessing, still rather horrid but better then standing with arms outstreched hoping for a cloud to pass over the sun. Trying Nikon lenses in manual focus mode soon lost any interest.

So now? Here comes the frustration. This camera is crying out for a wide angle prime and a short tele, 12mm and 40mm would be nice, both no slower than F2, and or a high quality zoom 12-40mm ish again F2. All fully dedicated to the camera system But there is nothing like these even on the far horizon.

And the best accessory? A 37" Viera Panasonic TV.:popcorm2:

Brian.

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Brian,

well, considering this article on The Online Photographer suggesting a 1 year exercise with 1 camera + 1 lens, along with this article extolling the virtues of a 40mm EFL lens... I don't feel too unhappy with the E-P1 / E-P2 + 20mm f1.7. I can wait for the Olympus 11mm f2.8 and 50mm f2 to arrive for m4/3rds.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    LCD or Plasma TV - I'm looking for one - saw one at a mate's a few weeks ago and he uses it to look at his digi photos - I was very surprised at the quality

wide angle - will we ever get a really good one until the sensor becomes true 35mm -although looking on here the 17mm and 20mm look fabulous - (but the Pana one is expensive)

Only had my G1 just over a week and I am no expert - I only have the 14 45 kit - but I tend to use my Nikkor MF lenses most of the time and one of the reasons that I bought into the M4/3 was I wanted a digital RF size camera with interchangeable lenses, (Leica just too much money and the Epson is discontinued)

But this "new" format, channel or whatever you want to call it is exciting

4. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Why the need for "full dedication"?

12mm: the Cosmicar 12.5/1.4 doesn't cover the whole frame but otherwise gets excellent comments and costs very little.

40mm: the Hexanon 40/1.8 is fine (I've used mine on a Konica) and costs little.

a high quality zoom 12-40mm ish again F2: I've a hunch that Panasonic would love to make something similar (if slower), have it inscribed "Leica", and charge you an arm and a leg for it.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it's just a matter of time. Pana and Oly are making lenses in the order the general market wants. There is a smaller market with a big echo chamber that wants exactly what you want, but I don't think that is their primary market.

I'm sure that a short tele f/2 or faster will be along before too long, and Oly has an ultrawide prime on their roadmap, so it shouldn't be too long either.

Personally, I'm very happy with the 7-14 and 20/1.7, wanting only for a tele prime prime (anything in the 35-65mm range and f/2 or faster would be fine by me).

As for a 12-40mm f/2 zoom, that would be enormous.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BrianT

BrianT Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010
    Leeds
    Because I really do think the EVF sucks. Hence dedicated 12mm and 45mm lenses with 24 and 90mm optical finders, switch the LCD off, let the camera handle the twiddly bits and for me at least........... great. Also don't forget vthat the 20mm performance is greatly enhanced by the camera software so I would assume that technology would also come into play particuarly with the wide angle.

Sorry Brian, been there done it and if I wore such things would have the T shirt.:)

TV.. Don't know about Plasma V LCD or now we also have LED But the Panasonic Viera even has the card reader built in.

But Bill don't forget the doubling up factor. And the 7-18mm performance is mind blowing, but it is big. I have a 12-24mm Nikkor mounted on the GF1 as I write ,it actually balances quite nicely pity it's a G lens.

Re HoHo and the cost of my dream zoom. Yes it's not going to be cheap but don't Olympus do a wider range F2 for about £1500...............now if that one worked properly on the GF1 it could be interesting...........does it? Mind you as Amin said it would be big, the Olympus version weighs in at 800grms, I have just weighed my 12-24 Nikkor 1000grms with a GF1 and EVF attached!!

Brian.

Brian.

7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

What Amin says.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hi BrianT and welcome to the world of "less is more". I'm only kidding because I bet there are many on this forum who have quite a few cameras and lenses... First of all, welcome to:43: - and I hope you'll find your way around quickly - including posting some of your own photos, or becoming involved in the "Members Only" forum.:biggrin:

I am very new to digital, beyond a p&s, so the controls on my E-P2 are a bit daunting... That said, I have found that using the Panny 20 1.7 and only that, so far, has been great. Now that I have just read that essay Brian linked to from TOP about using one camera and one lens, I feel even more vindicated!:wink: But I'm not going back to film...however I do remember my basic photo class using a plastic Diana camera..a pin hole camera...and still have one of my shots from it framed and hanging in our house, but I digress.

For me, I am trying to keep it simple and probably will use mainly this lens and I may even stick to using jpeg only for quite some time...and concentrate on relearning the art of seeing plus the art of exposure. I am sure we all have somewhat different desires for these new cameras in our lives and maybe it's not the final answer to all of one's photographic opportunities, but I am hoping that for me it will bring me back into the world I loved and enjoyed so much way back when...out walking alone, looking and seeing... But meanwhile, I'll still keep my little Canon SD around for fun, too.:smile:

I realize my point of view, wants/needs are just my own, but I hope if you hang in there, you'll become less frustrated and enjoy your GF and find that wide angle you really want. That's a lens I'd like to have down the line, too.:thumbup:

P.S. While I was off, I see there have been more posts. I do think Amin's points are well taken, but I can see where you're coming from. I happen to love the EVF...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    What Bullfrog Says....

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    What Streetshooter Says.... :hail:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    what my wife says!............ but do i have to listen?

• Like Like x 1
  12. BBW

OK, so I will delete my longwinded post and just repeat the mantra.:th_salute:

Hey, if you like the camera hang in there...and if you really end up hating it, you can sell it, right?

13. BrianT

BrianT Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010
    Leeds

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can tell you one thing for sure. If you are interested in using dedicated 24mm and 90mm optical finders, you aren't their primary market :biggrin:.

15. BrianT

BrianT Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010
    Leeds
    Why does that make me feel good? :biggrin:

Brian

16. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Wish I had one...the one I had.....:mad:

17. BBW

Bill, I'm sorry you lost your wife. Having never lost my own spouse, I can only imagine what it might be like.

I'm sure BillNUK's "old saw" about the nagging wife were meant in jest. One of the odd and sometimes frustrating things about an Internet discussion board is the inability to read the underlying voice behind the words.

• Like Like x 2
  18. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    The smaller lens selection is saving me money :rolleyes:

My appetite for "buying accessories" far out paces my ability to use them. Right now I'm fighting off the urge to buy a 8gig memory card - when in reality I clearly have not taken even enough photos to fill the 2gig one - in total, let alone in one photo session.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Good points squeegee, buy a 2 or 4GB high quality fast SDHC card rather than a noname cheap high capacity card... the mechanical quality and write speed are more important when you're using the card to store relatively few shots between removing the card, inserting into reader, and placing back into camera.

I've had a 16GB card disintegrate twice (first time I got it replaced by manufacturer, 2nc time I just binned it) - due to cheap plastics used. Never again... I now only buy 4GB SanDisk extreme cards. High quality plastic for all those movements between camera and card reader.

Cheers

Brian

20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Squeegee & Brian... speaking of cards... we've been using (we bought six) Fuji 8GB Class 6 SDHC cards (about $25 at B&H, lifetime warranty) with good results so far in our GF1 and two ZS3's. So far, perfect performance and HD video recording is flawless. (we record a lot of short videos with these cameras, hence the choice of 8GB SDHC cards).

At $25 for 8GB of Class 6, from a name brand (Fuji), with lifetime warranty, seems like a very good price/performance point to me.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590175-REG/Fujifilm_600007621_8GB_SDHC_Memory_Card.html

What was the brand/noname card you were referring to?

• Like Like x 1