Getting focus with ebay 25 1.4...Ideas?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by blanko, Sep 30, 2012.

1. blanko

blanko New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2012
    I've seen some great images with these, so I bought one:

I know quirky image, rather than 'quality' is the charm here, but I cant seem to get this to focus closer than about 10 meters, even then I wouldn't say it's anything like in focus, and I've had to stop down so much I'm not really getting the benefit of the extreme swirly bokeh or light gathering. It seems pronouncedly soft in the centre, with a sharp ring before giving out to vignetting/soft again.

I'd seen pictures people had taken of their friends, obviously not more than a few feet away, there's no way I'm not going to be able to do that, I tried the macro ring doesn't help, as this really is just a few cm of focus

Do you think it's just not right? If you've any advice I'd really appreciate it, it hasn't broken the bank, but I thought it was going to be fun rather than disappointing.
  2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    This sellers feedback (24 negatives in past 2 years) is horrendous- avoid sellers like this.
  3. blanko

blanko New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah... but I weighed it up; 24 negs against a few thousand happy punters, considering the low cost on what is, with best expectations, a low end pocket money toy... it was hard to see where I could go wrong. And to be fair, when out shooting the lens does have a certain something. Few sellers of these cheap ebay photographic bits and bobs have better ratings, I figure, you pay your money, you take your chances.

I've got stung in this area, and paying by paypal really does cover you, if slowly and bothersome.
  4. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    I bought mine from the same seller recently, and I can focus it at about 1,5-2 metres (without the macro ring). The focus ring was behaving a bit funny though at first, but un- and re-screwing the various lens parts fixed that (I'd read somewhere on this forum (I think) of someone fixing a focusing problem on this lens by doing that).