1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Getting feedback for my friend's camera accessory venture

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a friend who's going to start making leather/satin camera wraps, leather CF card wallets, leather tripod straps and camera wrist straps. Anyways he asked if I could get feedback for his first product which will be a leather/satin wrap for your rangefinder and/or mirrorless camera. They'll come in 12, 16 and 24 inch wraps. Here is the initial prototype. Opinions and/or suggestions welcomed!

Price is TBD -

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    The material is interesting :) Leather seems luxurious and durable, but will it be weather proof?

But... I don't think a rectangular fabric + snap system would contain a camera + lens shape all that well.

Olympus has a similar one for OMD:

IMG_275580.

Their string seems like an elegant solution for this. Single point of closure means it's easy to wrap/unwrap, coupled with a flexible band then it'd fit the OMD with practically any type of lenses. They also advertise a microfiber-like lining inside that functions as cleaning cloth, and a water repellent surface on the outside.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This looks nice! I'll have him check out the thread.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    ??
    What's it for?

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I like the idea: a free-form wrap. Satin would not last very long. I would prefer neoprene, the material from which diving wetsuits are made, on the side that touches the camera.

Calfskin or deerskin would be soft and supple. Cowhide would be too thick and difficult to fold.

Paracord would be more durable than the stretchy shock cord that Olympus uses on that product. The 7mm metallic studs would scratch the camera.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was embarrassed, because that was my first thought, too. Glad someone else asked it, so I'll just +1 here!

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 on the para cord - seems much more effective and useful.

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My friend (who also is a photographer) wants to start selling leather goods for camera gear. He's not much of a forum dweller so he asked me to get feedback on his designs. Everything is going to be handmade.:smile:

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sorry. I meant what's the point of the item. It's a leather wrap around a camera, but it doesn't seem to keep out the weather, nor look easy to carry. What does the wrap do, or what's it for?

10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    The question was - "What is it for?" or "How is it used?"

As in, "What in tarnation is that dang thing!?"

I know, but I think you should answer the question. Two people have asked. I sort of feel it's not my place...

woof!

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's a way to protect a camera in a bag, purse, etc. without using a case. Protects the camera from scratches, etc. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I see. Why not just get a camera bag? For me, personally, I can't put my cameras in, say, luggage. I always carry them in a camera bag or pouch and take them as carry-on (if I were flying, for instance).

The Oly design shown earlier seems a better fit, IMO.

13. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I have that Oly wrap for my OMD and I like it a lot. WT21, while I do have a camera bag I tend to use the Oly wrap when I'm on travel for work and don't the room to bring the camera bag. I simply use the Oly wrap and then I can pack my camera in my laptop bag, I will ussually pack three lens into my crumpler haven as well. The crumpler haven I have is too small to accommodate my OMD with full grip attached.

for the leather / satin prototype I would suggest using a cord similar to the Oly wrap. I do leatherwork as a hobby myself and I've used those line 24 snaps on projects I've made and I'd be concerned about the back of the snaps rubbing against the camera. Also the snap isn't going to allow you to secure the wrap on the camera as well as the cord.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Tenba makes a wrap and they use Velcro tabs on each corner, it works really well and doesn't need a cord. I'm not sure how such a fastener would work on a leather wrap however, but it is worth taking a look at.

15. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Metal snaps are definite no-nos. They can easily scratch/crack the camera/display:
    1. Material too hard/abrasive
    2. Needs to be snapped into/out of place
    3. Cannot be adjusted, unlike elastic strap/velcro

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  17. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Materials look very nice, but the snaps in the corners kinda fixes the size of the object it can hold. I'd think velcro in the corners with some velcro on the outside, while detracting from the looks, would work better.

• Like Like x 1
  18. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I don't see myself wrapping up a camera, neither in leather nor anything else. The fact that the original idea of the square wrap is completely off the mark for me and a lot of people here, indicates that your friend doesn't seem to have a clue what a photographer wants, but is just playing around with wrapping up stuff. That's fine but I don't think there will be a huge market for it.

My take anyway, sorry to be blunt.

19. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Have never though much of wraps.

I'd rather have and will gladly pay for a decent ever-ready case or other small bag. Here's a perfect example. Marvelx-40 | Kata Bags The Kata holds an EP-3 with 14-45mm Panasonic and reversed hood perfectly. The little accessory pouch on the bottom easily fits an extra card, a viewfinder, two batteries, and a microfiber cloth. This is a full day of shooting in most conditions in the smallest possible package, with maximum protection, and perfect carry-ability. Whist in transit, it is similarly small and portable, easily fitting in my briefcase, but then again not even having to since I actually always sling it.

I am not advocating this bag, but there are a lot of similar options for other cameras such as the Panasonics and the EM5. This kind of option simply delivers more usefulness and value.

On the other hand, if I WAS going to buy a wrap, it would not be with a snap. Reasons have already been cited here. Metal is a bad idea. These snaps are also inherently insecure. Pick that up just wrong and <snap!> thud! Camera on ground. The Oly with the cord is the right design. Grips the camera and minimizes the possibility of accidents.

Respectfully,

woof!

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I use my wooly hat.