Getting erros on SD card

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by je83, Jul 17, 2013.

1. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I get these errors with my SD card where these alien files and folders with weird text show up in my pictures folders and one or two images can't be opened.

Capture_zps738de675.

Here's another one:

Capture1_zps19cf7283.

I first encountered this about three weeks ago, I saved the files and formatted my card right away and have been using it normally. The same thing showed up again today.

I use a GF-3 and i do have a habit of keeping the camera on while I open the latch and remove card but I make sure it's not in playback mode or currently saving. I always close the windows and stuff when removing it from my pc as well.

EDIT:
    Kingmax class10 16gb sdch.

2. Neelly

Neelly New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2013
    I take it you are formatting the card in the camera, if not you should do that. If you are I would bin the card, cards are cheap enough and you don't really want to take chances

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, everything I've read indicates that you want to always format the card in camera. If you haven't done that, that is the first thing I would recommend. What is your normal process?

I haven't experienced any similar issues, but I think I would lean toward Neely's advice, particularly if in-camera formatting doesn't correct this issue (or if you've been doing that all along). With the low price of memory cards these days, it's just not worth it to me to have a flaky card jeopardize my images. Just get one of these and be done with it.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The next thing is to turn the camera off before ejecting & use safe eject from the computer to avoid all possibilities of creating a corruption.

5. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Thanks. I can't remember if I formatted on windows or in cam. I did do a scan of the card on the pc shortly after posting and it said there were bugs/errors which it fixed. The alien files and folders are gone but all my files ended up in the Pana 3 folder when there used to be a Pana 3 and Pana 4 folders separately containing my images over the past two weeks or so.

I went out and shot some 400+ images yesterday and they all seem to be fine in the same folder. I'll keep an eye on it these next few weeks.

6. Ross the fiddler

That's when you should have followed it with a reformat in your camera, without any further thought, because that's what the camera manufacturers recommend & it ensures everything is in order for the camera to write to.

7. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Yup, it happened again and this time I'm unable to access the folders. Good thing I backed my files up.

It happened to another memory card I'm using to test a new GF-3 for my cousin, so it's not the card that's causing these errors. I can't remember if I used it on my GF-3 as well as the new one I'm testing though.

I did format both in camera this time and I'll continue to keep track of them to see what happens.

8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You never mention whose card it is? The possibility of a crappy card is very possible. I have what is clearly a bogus Sandisk card that is in my audio recorder as it can't write fast to save its life, lol. Technically class 10, but unable to write any faster than old class 6 cards I have.

I echo what's been said: always format in camera. Do not delete files, rename, or modify the card in ANY way on the computer. Only read the files.

I'm going to shout this so everyone can hear: DO NOT SCRIMP ON MEMORY CARDS! IF A DEAL LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE SKIP IT. ONLY USE MAJOR BRANDS.

Now you can ignore my shouted-from-the-rooftops advice if your photos are not important to you. Mine are, so I love a "deal" -- but only from reputable merchants on genuine brands.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here are the rules for memory card usage that I have developed for myself over the years:

1) Never format your memory cards in your computer, ONLY in camera.
    2) Never allow your computer (particularly Windows) to "fix" a problem with a card, particularly a problem it has identified on its own.
    3) Import images from the card onto the hard drive. Back them up immediately to an external drive (and also to "the cloud" if the situation allows). Return card to camera and re-format it.
    4) In case of issues in reading images off the card, use a specialty "rescue" utility to retrieve the images, not the tools included in the OS. Once the images are rescued, return card to camera, re-format it and take some test snaps. Return the card to the computer and validate that the card is readable. If you experience any problems, trash the card. If the card works flawlessly, Mark it with a red "X" and return it to the rotation (I usually have 3-4 cards I shoot with at any time) as the last card (i.e. only use it when all my other cards are full). At the first sign of trouble with any card marked with a red "X", discard it (after getting the images off it obviously) and replace it with the fastest and most reliable card I can find (currently for me that is the SanDisk Extreme Pro series).

10. Ross the fiddler

If it comes in plain packaging without a serial number, then it's a fake & more likely to give problems.
    Genuine cards like Sandisk (Extreme & Extreme Pro) come in full packaging with a serial number & warranty!

I only use Sandisk Pro or Extreme & I have only had a problem after I removed a card from the computer without ensuring it wasn't being accessed & that's why going through the 'safe eject' is best. It came up with an error in the camera so I put it back into the computer & did the safe eject routine (after closing all programs that would be accessing it) & then formatted it in the camera. It's been fine since.

11. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I bought this one used, so I'm like the "second idiot", lol -- it didn't come with any packaging at all.

That's good advice though and thanks.

12. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    It happened again. I saved all my images from yesterday this morning, I did everything right, waited for the cam to turn off, safely remove device off the pc and when I put the card back it it showed card read error.

I'm using a Kingston card on my GF-3 as well as a Toshiba Imation card on the other once which also got the same error. They give these cards out with almost every camera purchases in HK, I've gone through at least 10 of these in the past few years without any problems.

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    All those cards, only one camera giving the problem... sounds like the news you didn't want to hear.

14. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Try the USB cable and see what happens. Have you "reset" the camera to factory settings? If not I would at least give that a go.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

15. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I was going through another card from another camera yesterday and I accidentally rotated an image from the card, something I haven't done with the previous two cards. Usually when I do this the image can't be viewed on the cam but this time it resulted in a card error on cam and some kind of format message when I tried to view images on my pc. Took me 2 hours to recover my data.

It may have something to do with that or it may still be from the camera since it was my rotating of an image that is the likely cause for the error on the last card.

16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Now I'm almost sure it's the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

17. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Hey guys I've been quite busy and haven't had any time at all to look into this since my last post over a month ago.

I've got the sd card and everytime I click on it on windows it says "insert card into drive" or something like that. It won't format on win7 or mac but I can still see the files, along with the alien text and folders on the macbook which at least allowed me to save my images.

I did format it on the camera but it still won't show up on windows and still won't format either.

Anyway, once I sort this out with the card, I'd like to try some things before taking it to the service center. Two things I've thought about is resetting the camera completely and also updating the firmware. Is there anything else any of you can suggest I try before taking it to service?