Getting EP-5 - should I get the 17mm?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by angusr, Sep 25, 2013.

1. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi - I have been mulling over my options so decided to put it out to the forum. I will likely buy an EP-5 on a trip to the US in a couple of months (I live in the UK, so buying in the US represents a significant price reduction).

My current set up is the GF3, 14mm, 20mm, Oly 45mm and 45-175mm zoom. I rarely use the zoom because of the size, though it is nice to have from time to time. I have previously had the GF1 and 14-45mm. Things I want from a new camera: stabilized video with the primes and better high ISO performance for shooting kids indoors, option to use external flash, better external controls. The EP-5 looks perfect, except it is slightly larger than I would have wanted. Nevertheless the controls/stabilization seem enough better than the EPL5 to make it worth it. I will keep the GF3 as a backup and for pocketability.

My dilemma is whether to get the kit with the 17mm and the EVF. I don't see myself using the EVF much, because of the size and just because I never had a VF so have got used to the LCD. I would probably sell it. I'm happy with the current primes and love the 20mm for stills, but the slow focus whilst videoing the kids is a pain.

1) I have seen a field of view comparison, overlaid on a street scene - I can't currently find it so can anyone point me in the right direction, or a similar one?

2) 17mm and 45mm seem to me to make quite a nice kit (I commonly take just the 14mm and 45mm on vacation and think the 17mm may work better for me since I never take more than 2 lenses out with me, and though I like to shoot the scenery, I more commonly want to include the kids). I'd lose the size advantage and width of the 14mm. How much difference in field of view is there in reality?

3) How much could I sell a new/minimally used 17mm and the EVF for in the UK? Could this potentially allow me to try my options for free?

4) If I got the 17mm, should I keep the 20mm or the 14mm just for the size? Price, size and focal length seems to indicate keeping the 14mm, but I'd be torn in parting with my favourite lens (the 20mm). I could always sell them both and get something wider, but there isn't anything nearly as small...

5) Any other options? Both camera size and total kit size is important to me because I like to travel by bike.

Thanks in advance,

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Which 17mm are you talking about? The 17mm f/1.8 will sell for £300 second hand, maybe as high as £320.
  3. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I replaced the 14 and 20 with the 17 and I LOVE it. I use just the 17 and 45. I prefer the field of view of the 17, and I also like the instant AF and larger aperture. I actually did keep the 14 though, just because it's so small, and fairly cheap, so if I'm going truly minimalist I'll take just that.
  4. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Yup 17mm f
    1.8 is part of the ep5 kit.
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    If you buy the kit, the EVF is basically free. If you have not tired out the new EVF, you may be surprised by its quality (so long as it does not bother you that it is an accessory). If you do not mind selling used gear, then you may not lose much, if any, money, and you will get to try out both the lens and the EVF if you purchse the kit. If your budget is tight, you do not like selling used equipment, and you absolutely do not want an EVF, the just buy the body.

6. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Glad to hear of good experiences and thanks thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I'll get the kit with the EVF and 17mm for an additional 450 USD and anticipate selling the EVF and either the 17mm or 20mm to recoup much of the cost.

Anyone want to play devil's advocate and tell me why I should stick with the 14, 20, 45 trio?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    May i just say that the VF4 is the best EVF on the market. period. is impressive.
  8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I'd say 14mm, 17mm and 45mm is nice :biggrin:

14mm for those times when you want a very compact setup
    17mm f/1.8 for times when you want to shoot environmental portrait or walkaround lens
    45mm f/1.8 for portraits

You can actually get the Kit first and add the 45mm on it. See if it's okay already, if not then add the 14mm later on. :2thumbs: Both the 14mm and 45mm are really very good value.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Hands up...errr Hands down!! agree!! :2thumbs::biggrin: