Getting data off of a laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rklepper, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So a student has a laptop that is not working. It will not even power up. Apparently there are some photos from her iPhone on there she would like to get off. Assuming that the hard drive is still good (and I am assuming it would not be the hard drive keeping it from powering up) can I use a docking station for a hard drive to get the data off of there? She is a foreign exchange student and has no one really to help her with this. I am fairly tech savvy. I am thinking of something like THIS.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Not that specific one, as it says for 3.5" hard-drives, and hers would be a 2.5". You could either use a hot-dock (what those are called) or get an external enclosure. The enclosure may be the cheaper option, and you could find them in store vs online for not a lot of price difference.

Edited: read down and will take 2.5" drives but has no insert to support, so it will float, only being supported by the connection.

3. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Yeah get a caddy for the HD that supports the size and connection type i.e. IDE,SATA etc also wouldn't hurt if it supported the same speed of connection the HD supports like SATA 1,2,3 although I don't suppose your worried as long as it works.

4. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks. Would floating be an issue?

5. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I guess I should have mentioned that after the data is off of the drive I may never have a use for the dokc again. So as long as I can use it once I (and she) will be very happy.

Thanks

Doc

6. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
  7. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Handy to have and easy to keep tucked away also it looks better quality..... good luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
  9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Only if your desk is cluttered. The risk comes in bending/breaking at connections hurting one or both parts though bumping. Some of the better ones have a spring hinged door that takes up the extra space.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Any chance she would have used iCloud to back up/transfer her images from her iPhone?

--Ken

11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Make sure your AV is up to date; alternatively use a bootable-USB or CD as an intermediary to get the data off onto something else - just in case theres anything nasty on the machine.

Alternatively, help her get a replacement drive, install it and run the recovery CD (if she still has it) and then give her the cable so she can get to the data on the drive herself. May require paid IT support if you're not comfortable replacing drives and running OS installs.