1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

getting back into m4/3, gx1 or gf3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by asaulo1, Jun 4, 2013.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    which is a better value? $199 gx1q body of the gf3? looking to get back into m4/3 again. thanks.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  3. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    GX1 is the better of two.

Whatever puts a camera in your hands is the right answer :biggrin:

4. bigrig

bigrig Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2012
    About 18 months ago I got a GF3, wanted the GX1 but price was too steep. I have enjoyed the pocketability of the GF3 with 14mm pancake. I just ordered a GX1, I am a little worried it will be bigger, comparison here - Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Review: Digital Photography Review

But the controls/hot shoe/better sensor will be welcome.

5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I don't know what the GF3 costs these days but I sure like the GX1, and the current price seems like a real bargain!

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    A $199- GX1 is a no-brainer. The only advantage of a GF3 is size, or finding a close out price.

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I appreciate my colleagues answers but really -- you haven't asked a valid question. Those cameras are worlds apart and you've not said what kind of shooter you are.

Used GF3 bodies are selling under $100 in many cases. If you are a "point and shoot" shooter, then you need nothing else. If you need more control, the GF3 can be frustrating.

I'm confused since your signature says you have an E-M5 and a bunch of lenses. What are you "getting back into"?

8. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I sold my OMD and all my m4/3 lenses in favor of an all Fuji system. In a addition, I'm clearing out my superfluous DSLR gear and would like to get back into the m4/3 fold. I'm more of a street/travel shooter nowadays but have occasionally shot portraits.... Trying to build up my m4/3 kit and was hoping to start it off with a cheap kit such as the $200 gf3 and the 14mm 2.5 lens (which I really liked on my OMD)

I guess I have to update my signature.

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ah, I see. Well the GF3 was the topic of another discussion here and the bottom line was that it is a capable little camera provided you can get along with the point and shoot type of interface. You can make great photos with it.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Probably the right question should be GX1, or G3, since they have the same sensor, and are both available for under $300 for the bodies now. The main difference is, if you are comfortable with the LCD for composition, the GX1 has probably better control features if you do stuff manually - but the G3 has a built in EVF.

BTW, I personally was making this choice very recently - and I got a lightly used G5 for under $300 instead (can't speak to how pleased I am, because it's still in transit.)

11. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Bought a used GF3 with the 14mm f/2.5 lens for $219 last year. I know, it was a steal. I was able to snatch it away from my wife this week and it still is a capable and fun camera but in bright day light, the screen is pretty close to useless. Other than that, all is ok. At least with the GX1, you can get a viewfinder.

12. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was in a similar situation and I to got a great deal(though not as good as Rich's, but close) on the a GF3 and 14mm kit that fully swayed me. I prefer the full controls(and slightly updated interface) of the GX1 better, but after a while I easily adapted to it, and can adjust setting fairly quickly. The GF3's slightly smaller size + weight is also an advantage here, as I pretty much make it with me everywhere(with the 14mm attached that is).

Part of me still wishes to go with the GX1 for the improved sensor at night; but, there are some accessories one can get for the GF3 that one can't get for the GX1, at an affordable price(at least for me).

Another affordable option could be the GF5, which offers a higher res display, updated interface, and better grip, all in the same package as the GF3. Though I am not sure about price.

13. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Do you need a flash hotshoe? GF3 doesn't have one. GX1 does.

Do you plan to add an EVF? GF3 can't take one. GX1 can.

Do you want to use a cable release? GF3 doesn't have a cable release port, GX1 does.

Just me, but I'd go for the GX1 if you're used to an OM-D, dSLRs, and Fuji X gear. Chances are the GF3 will just frustrate you.

Size difference exists, but isn't that huge.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#167,183

14. bigrig

bigrig Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2012
    Asuolo - I see by your other posts you're going the Olympus route?

15. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Actually waiting for my EP 5 that I've pre ordered... I ended up getting the GF3 kit with the 14mm lens but I'm flipping the body since I absolutely loved that lens on my OMD before I sold it. GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is definitely a hard thing to ignore :)