1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Getting back into it

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by EdH, Jul 22, 2014.

1. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Hi All,

I'm a recent comeback into photography. I got my first 35mm SLR 20 years ago and used it to get my art GCSE (I was, and am, rubbish at drawing/painting) and later in my first few jobs as a classic car journalist.
    I was soon leaving that to the professionals and the only cameras I've used since have been point-and-shoots. I have to admit that I have rarely got enthusiastic about taking photographs for a long time.
    Anyway, I have recently gently pointed my wife to get me an m4/3 camera (Olympus E-PM1) for my birthday a couple of weeks weeks ago, and find myself re-enthused with the whole thing. I've dug out my old lenses (Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8, Minolta 50mm f1.7, etc) bought adaptors on ebay/amazon and I'm having great fun. I've also bought a Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN 'Art', which I'm also enjoying but I seem to have given up on the 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 IIR kit lens
    I've even bought a second-hand VF-2 viewfinder from Japan (although it's been delayed in customs!) and I can't wait for it to turn up. I'm starting to get impatient and since I can't see for myself yet, was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it might help, especially when using legacy lenses, although I seem to be manually focusing on m4/3 lenses when given the chance too.

I'd be glad for any input.

Thanks,

Ed

2. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Hope you will continuing your photo adventures. You chosen the m43 as the system you will use and I hope you will found out, just like me, that everything you can do with a DSRL you can do with the much smaller mirror less.

Wishing you good light,

Plaatje

• Like Like x 1
  3. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I'm not exactly sure what your question is. However, I am sort of in the same boat as you. I used to have a SLR back in the day. I never felt that I couldn't excel very well with the craft because I would have to wait and see for film to be developed whether I had a keeper or not. Experimenting was very cost prohibitive.

Today, instant feedback (chimping) has totally changed everything!

I decided to go for the M43/mirrorless due to my declining eyesight. I am nearsighted and take my glasses off to see things up close. Peering thru a DSLR viewfinder was useless to me. But peering through an EVF or chimping on the back of the cam was was perfect for me.

Also, the way we share photos these days are much more interesting. Join Flickr if you haven't yet. It will give you inspiration.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Holly

• Like Like x 1
  4. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    The VF-2 EVF turned up yesterday. What a difference! Manual focussing seems a lot less like guesswork than it did before!

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard - :43: brings new life to old lenses, lots of fun. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1