Getting an m43 camera for mom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monkeymagic, Sep 17, 2012.

1. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    With my mother's rebel broken I am thinking of introducing my mother, an occasional photo taker, to the micro 4/3 format. She is not heavily invested in lenses and I am moving out of Canon dslrs into m43 as well.

Would like to stay with oly bodies.

I'm considering:

1. epl-2 brand new with kit and 40-150 for around $550
    -> from what I read, good IQ and good kit lenses and the advantage of being new, but older body. Much different from ep-3 tho?

2. refurb ep-3 with kit lens for around $550, and add a used panny 40-200 for ~$200
    -> higher body (but same sensor, right?), longer zoom for outdoor walks but refurb and more expensive.

3. epm-1 with kit for around $250 refurb, refurb 45 1.8 and used panny 40-200 for a total of around $750
    -> nice lenses, dirt cheap body, but may be too small of a form factor, everything pre-owned

4. Sell everything Canon I have, splurge on em-5 with 12-50 for $1,300
    -> Fantastic camera I can borrow but expensive, no need to add a vf-2 later, but mom doesn't want something so pricey

So as you can see I'm fixing to spend around $750 or so for a nice m43 and some basic lenses that my mother can enjoy taking outdoors on walks and hikes and shoot some pictures.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I really like the E-P3. But you might want to consider the new E-PL5. That means waiting a bit for availability, but you get the new sensor and a tilt screen (but no flash). If you want one sooner the the E-P3 is an excellent camera. I think prices on the OM-D are still too high and will drop soon with the new releases, but again, that means waiting.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Get mum the new E-PM2 :smile:
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    wait or E-PM2, best value with modern sensor.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    The epm2 seems great and I've been keeping an eye on it but I wanted to buy her something when I go see her in about a month, so I limited the choices to things available now.

However, I have also considered leaving my epm1, 20 1.7, 14-42 kit and 40-150, and a vf-2 I just bought from a gent on these boards with my mother until I can go visit her again early next year, at which point, if she finds the m43 suitable, I can bring her a epm2, another body, or even an em-5. That's one option.

Thanks for the suggestions and any more would be appreciated!
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Does mum like lots of controls or ease of shooting :confused:
  7. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Most definitely ease of shooting. However, I would like for her to have a camera that allows easy manual control as well, and I've found the epm1 to be a fantastic backup camera but a little too small and simplified in the control system to be a one and only primary body.

ETA: I am also trying to get her a m43 because I'm planning to go all m43 as well, and it would be a good way to spend some time together taking pictures and sharing lenses etc.
  8. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I don't think u4/3 is the best answer for mom. She's needs an awesome point and shoot, I think. My mom wouldn't care about any of the advantages of u4/3 over other cameras.

An Oly xz-2 or Sony Rx-1 would be better choices.
  9. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    That is a great idea as well but I think she's enjoyed using her Rebel and the couple of lenses I gave her, and feel like a p&s might be too limiting.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would go with option 3. The lens set is much better, and the E-PM1 is no slouch. With the E-PM1 and 45mm/1.8, she'll have a really compact kit that's fast, sharp, and easy to carry in her purse. After hauling around that Rebel, that should be an eye opener for her. ;)
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    E -pm1 with the grip (only $35) and it handles fine. Use the money for lenses.
  12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is she ready to give up the viewfinder on the Rebel? If so, you should figure on the extra cost of an add-on EVF, unless you choose the E-M5. As this is an Olympus thread, I won't mention choices on the other side of the MFT divide...