Getting a GX1, zoom lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by testraddkr, Jun 30, 2012.

1. testraddkr

testraddkr New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2012
    I've only used P&S cameras before and decided to upgrade to a mirrorless system this summer for travel purposes. They offer the perfect mix of affordability, portability and quality that meets my requirements.

I will probably get the GX1 with the panny 20mm prime lens but I also need a zoom lens. One of the kits offered with the GX1 comes with a "LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14 – 42 mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH." lens ( Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 Interchangeable Lens Camera Kit w/ PZ 14-42mm Lens at Memory Express ) but I've read that there are some problems with stability and edge quality on this lens. However, I reaaally like the fact that it's collapseable (and thus easier to carry) so is it worth getting? I'm on a budget so I'm not sure if I want to spend like $500 on a good zoom lens or if I'll even really need a zoom lens, when I can let the 20mm do everything. Suggestions? Thanks
  2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Panasonic 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 Lens
  3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    A few folks have had good luck with the PZ lens, some have not. I opted to not get a zoom lens when I got my GX1 and found one with the 14mm pancake instead. I couldn't justify the price of that 14-42x lens as the standard zoom hundreds less.

I'd recommend just getting started with the 20mm and see how you like that. I bought the PL 25mm right off the bat and used it for 90% or my first 2k snaps (the others with the 14mm). There have been very few circumstances where I really needed a zoom lens, and tons of times when I needed the fast aperture of the PL25. Your image quality will be rewarding when using a fast prime and it makes you consider the shot as your only zoom is within your feet!
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I doubt you'll find 'doing everything' with the 20/1.7 very fun. It's a good lens, but there are plenty of situations that it doesn't make sense either.

I'd suggest having a look at the regular 14-42 (non-PZ) kit. It's only a little more than the body, and the lens is perfectly competent and offers a handy set of focal lengths. If you can afford the GX1 and 20/1.7, the GX1/14-42 kit and 20/1.7 should be possible, and is a very flexible combo.