1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Getting a GX1, zoom lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by testraddkr, Jun 30, 2012.

1. testraddkr

testraddkr New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2012
    I've only used P&S cameras before and decided to upgrade to a mirrorless system this summer for travel purposes. They offer the perfect mix of affordability, portability and quality that meets my requirements.

I will probably get the GX1 with the panny 20mm prime lens but I also need a zoom lens. One of the kits offered with the GX1 comes with a "LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14 – 42 mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH." lens ( Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 Interchangeable Lens Camera Kit w/ PZ 14-42mm Lens at Memory Express ) but I've read that there are some problems with stability and edge quality on this lens. However, I reaaally like the fact that it's collapseable (and thus easier to carry) so is it worth getting? I'm on a budget so I'm not sure if I want to spend like $500 on a good zoom lens or if I'll even really need a zoom lens, when I can let the 20mm do everything. Suggestions? Thanks

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Panasonic 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 Lens

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    A few folks have had good luck with the PZ lens, some have not. I opted to not get a zoom lens when I got my GX1 and found one with the 14mm pancake instead. I couldn't justify the price of that 14-42x lens as the standard zoom hundreds less.

I'd recommend just getting started with the 20mm and see how you like that. I bought the PL 25mm right off the bat and used it for 90% or my first 2k snaps (the others with the 14mm). There have been very few circumstances where I really needed a zoom lens, and tons of times when I needed the fast aperture of the PL25. Your image quality will be rewarding when using a fast prime and it makes you consider the shot as your only zoom is within your feet!

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I doubt you'll find 'doing everything' with the 20/1.7 very fun. It's a good lens, but there are plenty of situations that it doesn't make sense either.

I'd suggest having a look at the regular 14-42 (non-PZ) kit. It's only a little more than the body, and the lens is perfectly competent and offers a handy set of focal lengths. If you can afford the GX1 and 20/1.7, the GX1/14-42 kit and 20/1.7 should be possible, and is a very flexible combo.

DH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.