Getting a Bit Paranoid

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tbr48, Oct 10, 2013.

1. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Last March I purchased an OMD E-M5. The camera has performed flawlessly for me. I took it on a month long trip to China and Tibet and was very happy with quality of the photos as well as using the camera. I have all but abandoned my D7000 and am using the E-M5 almost exclusively now.

My paranoia is coming from lately reading more and more about the main dial falling off. The one on my camera seems to be on quite tight but I am getting more worried about it coming off. I use the camera with the upper part of the HLD grip and have set the grip's dial to be the main dial, and the button inside it as the shutter button. Since I shoot primarily in S or A mode the camera's main dial now serves as exposure comp. This minimizes my use of the camera's main dial with the aim of lessening the chance that it will come off.

So given this, does anyone have any idea on how common is the problem of the main dial falling off? I know this is hard to gauge since you only hear about it from those it happens to and not from those whose camera's are working fine. I am going on another long overseas trip in the early part of next year. I will be taking my E-M5 but now that I am aware of the problem with the main dial, I am trying to plan some contingencies should the dial fall off while on this trip. I do not want to take two cameras. Perhaps I'll take a small tube of glue, but this is not ideal.
  2. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    My dial fell off and I had to get it repaired. In the absolute worst case scenario though, the "dial" is still functional as the part that falls off is more or less a "cap". Usability and weather sealing are compromised of course but you will still be able to take pictures and make some use of that function.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A bit of glue should sort out the paranoia.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My impression is that it's incredibly uncommon. Notice that the most recent post on that was a post in a thread that hadn't had any activity in months.
  5. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Come on guys... The sky could also fall...

All kidding aside, I shoot with the EM-5 almost daily (often logging well over a hundred images at a time). Short of the camera occasionally "locking up" (which is usually remedied by simply turning the power switch off and on, or removing the battery and reinserting it) the camera seems fairly bombproof...

Okay, I've gotta run and get our cave ready for doomsday. :sorry:

6. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Yes it does fall off, but it is no big deal.

You could send it back to an Olympus repair centre, or I suggest do as I did. Three tiny drops of super glue making sure you put it on the correct surface, which is is very obvious and all will be well. The important point but easy to see is don't let the glue go into the moving part of dial.

Best regards

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    How many have we read about falling off? Maybe 10 (at most?). I really don't even think we have seen that many posting here about the "fall-off" but let's say that only 10% of EM5 owners post here (that may be high too), and how many EM5s are there in the world? Without doing all the math, I suspect that the failure effects only 1 out or maybe 1000 cameras (I really have no idea), but I don't think you need to be at all concerned. Anxiety frequents forums, be they camera forums, car forums, whatever forums, and the anxiety gets to all forum members unnecessarily. So I wouldn't worry at all about it for the time being. When we see a much larger percentage of the EM5 population describing their fall-off, then we can be concerned (...that we may have to have our cameras serviced - again - still - no big thing).
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think we've got a weird sort of obsession, by and large, with our nice, high-end electronics. We're almost terrified of hurting them, as if they were babies and we people who aren't used to holding them. I've been trying to tell myself to just use things. They are tools, they were made for a certain amount of wear and tear. Day-to-day use items like smartphones cause so many etiquette fails because they make us baby them so much. Dam' the torpedoes, say I!
  9. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks everyone for helping put this in perspective. I have not hesitated to use my E-M5, and as I mentioned in my original post now use it almost exclusively over my Nikon D7000. In addition to my overseas travels, I have taken it on numerous hikes, excursions, and family events all without problems. I bought the camera to avoid having to carry a heavy and bulky DSLR and it has met or exceeded my expectations. I guess its the nature of these forums that requires one to keep a perspective especially when the posts report malfunctions, poor performance, etc. Thanks again for the responses.
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That's really the answer. :smile: :2thumbs:
  11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have two of them, and no problems here! :2thumbs: