Getting a 12-35mm Mk1 and a couple of Qs

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
I've bought myself an Mk1 12-35mm for my Em5 ii, after a lot of internal discussions.
I share with my wife a fairly extensive range of Fuji gear and so I always thought I had that range covered by our Fuji 10-24mm and 18-55mm.
But not quite [weight, size and aperture etc..]
Two main things always worried my about the 12-35 from reviews I have seen......soft edges/corners and bad flaring.
OK, soft edges/corners are best seen on a 2Dchart but they are not to be dismissed in RL shots.
However! I did a comparison on Optical Limits between the Pana 12-35, the Oly 12-45, the Oly 12-40 and as a wild card, the renowned Fuji 'Brick' the 16-55 [all 16 Mp sensors]
Yes, copy variation is possible...but it's what's there.
My biggest surprise is that the Pana equaled and sometimes topped the Fuji 16-55 in centre and edge sharpness.
Another surprise was that it really wasn't any worse than the Oly 12-45 in the edges/corners.
The Oly 12-40, no surprises here, a little less sharp in the centre but better on the edges,
So as far as edge softness goes, and after a good look at the showcase, it's not a big worry for me.
Interestingly, flaring, often mentioned by reviewers, is not something I see much in posted images.......[but who posts badly flared images ? :blush:]
Finally I currently have a PL 15mm which I Iike but feel it could be a bit redundant with the 12-35....and size is not really an issue.
So, people, any thoughts on this ramble appreciated!

Last edited:

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
My P12-35 along with the PL15 are my only 2 must haves in my m43 kit. Compared to my Fuji 18-55 it has better edges and better stabilization (I shoot P bodies). For the same reasons you point out, weight, size and aperture, toss in render, my PL15 is not redundant.

Real Name
Chris
I have used the p12-35 mk1 for 80% of all the photos I have taken with m43 over the past 5 years. The lens is great. I have compared it carefully to the 12-40 and the 12-45. It holds up great, even at the edges. Enjoy the lens, don't look back. It should not disappoint. Also, unless you want a smaller prime lens in some cases, the P15 will be redundant. I keep the P20 for this same purpose but with the 12-35 being so good and not too big, I rarely ever use the prime.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Just as a side note:
My 12-35 arrived today [on a Sunday!] It appears to be in pristine condition and works beautifully!
Although it's a Mk 1 version it has a black body [not the aubergine colour as described by many]
What distinguishes it, it seems, is the lens designation: H-HS12035E with the 'E' being the defining bit. So, obviously a later version of Mk1.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom