1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

gettin' primed

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jimr.pdx, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I've picked up a couple of interesting deals courtesy of my brother's bag of Minolta SRT gear. Inside was a mystery zoom, a creamy/silvery Elicar 35mm f/2.8 and a Rokkor-X MC 50mm f/1.4. That latter clearly outpoints my Rikenon/PK fifties for build and brightness, so an MC/MD adaptor is on its way for IQ tests. The Elicar apparently also was marketed as Soligor and perhaps Vivitar (at least some Elicars were), and online searches suggest it may be of Komine manufacture, a well-respected Japanese optics maker.

On the Pentax/PK front I won an SMC-M 135mm f/3.5 for a nice price. Sure I prefer f/2.8 or even 2.5, but those are much heavier; I'm more likely to carry a 270g lens (with built-in hood!) than a 470g (that's what my seldom-used, recently-sold Rikenon XR 135/2.8 weighed). I've a few other lowball bids out that will likely fail, but this gives me the Oly 17mm plus 35, 50 and 135 for now. Something in the 70-100 range would be nice but I cannot afford to get greedy! :wink:

Anyone with knowledge of the Elicar 35 by any other name, or Rokkor 50mm lenses, I'd like to hear more about these. I'll post something later this week when the adaptor arrives.

2. A 24 would be the only other gap I would be plugging in that line-up.

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

You're going to love the Rokkors...

Alan

4. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Me too, I love the rokkors 50/1.4 too. Would have love to own the 58/1.2.
    You can find out more about the rokkors from rokkorfiles.com.

LP

5. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Jim R
    I saw the rokkorfiles tests on the many Rokkor 50's, the MC and MD 1.4s are pretty even (with their copies at least).
    Hopefully the adaptor will arrive tomorrow. The Elicar 35 will be a real curiosity!

6. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Well, as a newbie to m4/3, but a decades-long Minolta user (XE5), threads like these make me feel almost like I'm coming home. One of the factors in my decision to go m4/3 was the ability to use my Minolta lenses. Not too many people think about these lenses anymore. And I'm glad--some great bargains to be had.

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Jim R
    Bargains indeed - although up to now I only had the PK adaptor to feed.
    Now I can seek MC/MD Minolta mounts too?? Dangerous :eek: and my signature line just keeps growing.. :rolleyes:

8. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Jim R
    Let the good times roll!

I stuck the 14-45 in for scale, and the PK and MC/MD adaptors:
    primes.
    L-R: Pentax-M 135/3.5, m4:3 adaptors, 14-45 kit zoom, MC Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Chinon 28/2.8, Rikenons 50/1.7 and f/2, Olympus 17. Somehow the Elicar 35 got left out of this image..

All are in good shape and do excellent work. The Pentax 135 was smaller than expected, and I expected it to be small & light! Even the Elicar, whose coatings (if any) show no reflected color, looks sharp; I fear a flare test will show some issues in several cases, in fact I've seen the Rikenons do poorly on my Pentax camera.

Here's the Rokkor f/1.4 in action: and there's that Elicar lens!
    P1040024.JPG

9. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Do you all mind if I ask what adapter you use for the rokkors? I'm about to buy one, probably off ebay, and wondered if there are any pitfalls, or if one is pretty much the same as the next.

Thanks

10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Jim R
    My PK is from rainbowimaging, the Minolta from fotoDiox. Both equal in my experience so far (which for the fotoDiox is about three hours :smile:)