gettin' primed

Real Name
Jim R
I've picked up a couple of interesting deals courtesy of my brother's bag of Minolta SRT gear. Inside was a mystery zoom, a creamy/silvery Elicar 35mm f/2.8 and a Rokkor-X MC 50mm f/1.4. That latter clearly outpoints my Rikenon/PK fifties for build and brightness, so an MC/MD adaptor is on its way for IQ tests. The Elicar apparently also was marketed as Soligor and perhaps Vivitar (at least some Elicars were), and online searches suggest it may be of Komine manufacture, a well-respected Japanese optics maker.

On the Pentax/PK front I won an SMC-M 135mm f/3.5 for a nice price. Sure I prefer f/2.8 or even 2.5, but those are much heavier; I'm more likely to carry a 270g lens (with built-in hood!) than a 470g (that's what my seldom-used, recently-sold Rikenon XR 135/2.8 weighed). I've a few other lowball bids out that will likely fail, but this gives me the Oly 17mm plus 35, 50 and 135 for now. Something in the 70-100 range would be nice but I cannot afford to get greedy! :wink:

Anyone with knowledge of the Elicar 35 by any other name, or Rokkor 50mm lenses, I'd like to hear more about these. I'll post something later this week when the adaptor arrives.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I've picked up a couple of interesting deals courtesy of my brother's bag of Minolta SRT gear. Inside was a mystery zoom, a creamy/silvery Elicar 35mm f/2.8 and a Rokkor-X MC 50mm f/1.4. That latter clearly outpoints my Rikenon/PK fifties for build and brightness, so an MC/MD adaptor is on its way for IQ tests. The Elicar apparently also was marketed as Soligor and perhaps Vivitar (at least some Elicars were), and online searches suggest it may be of Komine manufacture, a well-respected Japanese optics maker.

On the Pentax/PK front I won an SMC-M 135mm f/3.5 for a nice price. Sure I prefer f/2.8 or even 2.5, but those are much heavier; I'm more likely to carry a 270g lens (with built-in hood!) than a 470g (that's what my seldom-used, recently-sold Rikenon XR 135/2.8 weighed). I've a few other lowball bids out that will likely fail, but this gives me the Oly 17mm plus 35, 50 and 135 for now. Something in the 70-100 range would be nice but I cannot afford to get greedy! :wink:

Anyone with knowledge of the Elicar 35 by any other name, or Rokkor 50mm lenses, I'd like to hear more about these. I'll post something later this week when the adaptor arrives.

You're going to love the Rokkors...

Alan

unkabin

Mu-43 Regular
Well, as a newbie to m4/3, but a decades-long Minolta user (XE5), threads like these make me feel almost like I'm coming home. One of the factors in my decision to go m4/3 was the ability to use my Minolta lenses. Not too many people think about these lenses anymore. And I'm glad--some great bargains to be had.

Real Name
Jim R
Let the good times roll!

I stuck the 14-45 in for scale, and the PK and MC/MD adaptors:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L-R: Pentax-M 135/3.5, m4:3 adaptors, 14-45 kit zoom, MC Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Chinon 28/2.8, Rikenons 50/1.7 and f/2, Olympus 17. Somehow the Elicar 35 got left out of this image..

All are in good shape and do excellent work. The Pentax 135 was smaller than expected, and I expected it to be small & light! Even the Elicar, whose coatings (if any) show no reflected color, looks sharp; I fear a flare test will show some issues in several cases, in fact I've seen the Rikenons do poorly on my Pentax camera.

Here's the Rokkor f/1.4 in action: and there's that Elicar lens!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

unkabin

Mu-43 Regular
Do you all mind if I ask what adapter you use for the rokkors? I'm about to buy one, probably off ebay, and wondered if there are any pitfalls, or if one is pretty much the same as the next.

Thanks

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom