GetOlympus 25% Off!

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
They don't bother to make any refurbished product available on the Canadian Olympus website, and we can't buy from Olympus US and have it shipped to Canada. Sucks but proves they don't care about the tiny market here.

Real Name
Ian
Well, I just bought an E-M1 for $577 including tax & shipping. I had been considering picking up an E-M1, but had been flip flopping on whether to do it or not. This price finally pushed me over the edge. I figure if I end up not liking it, I can sell it and possibly even make a couple bucks on it considering how cheap I bought it for (I'm still seeing E-M1's go for $650-700 used).

Things I'm looking forward to with the E-M1:
  • IBIS with my prime lenses. I've never noticed any problems using them with my GH4's, but let's see how good this cool-aid is that everyone is drinking.
  • The ability to have quick AF with my 50-200. I picked up a 50-200 to use as a MF lens for shooting motorsports with my GH4's, but am curious to see just how well it works as an AF lens.
  • Getting to play with some of the cool long exposure functions for long exposures.
When I get it, I'll be sure to go over it with a fine-tooth comb. Can anyone recommend any items to thoroughly check that I may have missed on my list below? Things I plan to check for:
  • Green spots in the EVF from the sun
  • Properly functioning dials when turned quickly or slowly
  • Rubberized grip starting to delaminate from back side of the camera
Have I missed anything? I've read reports about people having issues out of the box with refurbished Olympus gear, so I want to make sure I give it a thorough examination before the warranty or return period is up (the warranty is 90 days on refurb gear, correct? Any idea about the return policy?).

Now, I just need to figure out how to navigate the labyrinth that the Olympus menu structure...

Last edited:

MaK543

Mu-43 Regular
I've read reports about people having issues out of the box with refurbished Olympus gear, so I want to make sure I give it a thorough examination before the warranty or return period is up (the warranty is 90 days on refurb gear, correct? Any idea about the return policy?).
The refurbs are at least 9+/10, sometimes 10/10 if lucky. Expect minor cosmetic defect so you don't get disappointed. :p Return period is 30 days, and refund is minus shipping.
These are my experience of getting perfect refurb photo gears:
Canon (2/2), Nikon (2/5), Olympus (1/3). None had functional defect.

Real Name
Ian
The refurbs are at least 9+/10, sometimes 10/10 if lucky. Expect minor cosmetic defect so you don't get disappointed. :p Return period is 30 days, and refund is minus shipping.
These are my experience of getting perfect refurb photo gears:
Canon (2/2), Nikon (2/5), Olympus (1/3). None had functional defect.
Thanks for the response @MaK543, I'll make sure to go over the body and check for any major dents/dings. I'm fine with the black paint showing a bit of wear on corners or what not, as the E-M1 has been around a while. But I won't accept a camera that has an dents or excessive damage (which based on your 9+ rating, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue).

I'll also need to look up how to check the shutter count on the E-M1. I'm hoping I don't get a "well loved" camera body, lol.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Well, I just bought an E-M1 for $577 including tax & shipping. I had been considering picking up an E-M1, but had been flip flopping on whether to do it or not. This price finally pushed me over the edge. I figure if I end up not liking it, I can sell it and possibly even make a couple bucks on it considering how cheap I bought it for (I'm still seeing E-M1's go for $650-700 used).

Things I'm looking forward to with the E-M1:
  • IBIS with my prime lenses. I've never noticed any problems using them with my GH4's, but let's see how good this cool-aid is that everyone is drinking.
  • The ability to have quick AF with my 50-200. I picked up a 50-200 to use as a MF lens for shooting motorsports with my GH4's, but am curious to see just how well it works as an AF lens.
  • Getting to play with some of the cool long exposure functions for long exposures.
When I get it, I'll be sure to go over it with a fine-tooth comb. Can anyone recommend any items to thoroughly check that I may have missed on my list below? Things I plan to check for:
  • Green spots in the EVF from the sun
  • Properly functioning dials when turned quickly or slowly
  • Rubberized grip starting to delaminate from back side of the camera
Have I missed anything? I've read reports about people having issues out of the box with refurbished Olympus gear, so I want to make sure I give it a thorough examination before the warranty or return period is up (the warranty is 90 days on refurb gear, correct? Any idea about the return policy?).

Now, I just need to figure out how to navigate the labyrinth that the Olympus menu structure...
Never had a single issue w/Olympus refurbs. Everything for me has appeared untouched by human hands. That's an amazing price for an EM1. You'll love it.

Real Name
Ian
More EM-5II black bodies were available last night (3/21), so I ordered one.
Doug
Yeah, it was a toss up for me between the E-M1 and the E-M5 II (they're both the same price). I was considering the E-M5 II due to the newer IBIS, small size, and improved video features (I enjoy video, which is why I have 2 GH4's), but what ultimately sold me on the E-M1 was the superior C-AF functionality and the ability to autofocus my 50-200.

DriftlessRider

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ed
I waited just a little too long to finally decide to buy a 25mm f1.8. When I tried to add it to my cart the button was greyed out, and a couple hours later it was taken off the list altogether. Which may be OK because now I think I want a 17mm f.1.8. Decisions are hard.

Neither are available anymore, I'll just keep hitting refresh today and see if anything becomes available again.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Yeah, it was a toss up for me between the E-M1 and the E-M5 II (they're both the same price). I was considering the E-M5 II due to the newer IBIS, small size, and improved video features (I enjoy video, which is why I have 2 GH4's), but what ultimately sold me on the E-M1 was the superior C-AF functionality and the ability to autofocus my 50-200.
My E-M1 arrived today and it looks and feels brand-new. I also was considering the E-M5 II but the E-M1 will balance a bit better with my Lumix 100-300 for wildlife shooting. Plus, the E-M1 gives me an excuse to go for the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO zooms in future sales. :)

phillypino215

Mu-43 Rookie
jealous! had one in my cart. while i was checking out, someone came into my cube and chatted for about 15 mins. once he left, the item was gone. doh!

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
I waited just a little too long to finally decide to buy a 25mm f1.8. When I tried to add it to my cart the button was greyed out, and a couple hours later it was taken off the list altogether. Which may be OK because now I think I want a 17mm f.1.8. Decisions are hard.
You say that like there's a possibility you won't end up with both lenses... :rofl:

I have the 17/1.8 and it's a great lens. So is the 45/1.8... Now I just need to snag the 25/1.8... but like you I've been too slow in learning of the sale or in checking for re-stocks. :)

MaK543

Mu-43 Regular
I received my refurb EM5II order yesterday. One camera has a chipped bottom corner and inch long scratch on top plate. The 2nd camera has a wiggling front dial and not so clean sensor.:shakehead: One is definitely going back to Olympus, and I'm thinking about sending the 2nd one back as well. Where's QC when these defects are so obvious? :confused-53:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom