1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Get the Panny 20mm or wait for update???

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tolesy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I am wanting to purchase a pancake and have convinced myself, no thanks to you guys :tongue:, that Panasonic may be in the works of revamping the 20. Should I wait for something that may not come or jump in and get the current one? I know it is no slouch but I hate to spend $300+ to only have a new one released in a few months...

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have not heard of a new 20mm coming and I cruise the rumor sites multiple times every day. There are new zoom lenses, but no new 20mm. Why would they try to improve upon perfection? Go buy it right now. It's the only reason I've stuck with the system.

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    There's no new roadmap to indicate that, is there? And even if they release a new roadmap in the next couple of months, something tells me it'll be a longer while before it is even available.

I'm also not convinced an update to the 20/1.7 will happen with the 25/1.4 just being released. Not soon anyway. They should have other priorities like the 12-35/35-100 combo =)

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, tbh, it's not perfect. For me, it's missing a fast focusing system, it's the slowest lens in that regard that I have =) And the loudest, heh.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Improved 17mm perhaps before an improved 20mm?

6. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I thought long and hard about the same thing a couple of months ago, but after getting it...never looked back. It truly is an amazing lens.
    Just do it.

7. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    Don't wait, there'll always be another lens 'just round the corner'. Not having the lens means an awful lot of missed pictures

8. Marcula

Marcula Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Surrey, UK
    Find a used one now, and if you don't get on with it, sell it on at practically no loss. Pictures are more fun than kit :wink:

9. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    GO 4 it.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Like everyone already said, I don't think there is an update coming anytime soon. The only thing I have seen for rumors is a Panasonic 40mm pancake. I was assuming this was 40mm = 80mm equiv.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Don't worry about all the comments regarding "slow" "noisy" AF, either. I expected something that would scare babies and send kittens running for cover. In truth, even in a relatively quiet church, the AF noise isn't audible more than a couple of feet from the camera, and it focuses fast enough for pretty much any normal use.

12. Diginaut

Diginaut New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2011
    Singapore
    Yes. Just do it.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you ever have to ask whether you should buy something that exists, or wait for something that only exists in your imagination, always choose the one that's real.

14. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana

This was partially holding me back as well. Sounds like i'll be making the purchase this week!

15. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    +1

I've been waiting on a fast, fixed aperture 12-35 zoom, but realized I needed it now for my shooting needs and spent the funds on the 12mm. If that lens is eventually released, I can always sell the 12mm.

16. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I've been wondering about the possibility of the 20mm getting an overhaul/upgrade too, not the optics, just the mechanics. Seems like a no-brainer for Panasonic - once their stock (aka financial stake) is depleted of the current version of course. And if it's still basically the same lens I can't imagine it would necessarily be on any roadmap. In fact there are plenty of financial reasons to keep it quiet. In any case, once the Mk II is released many current owners will go out an buy it again anyway while selling off their now "inferior" one at a (probably considerably) lower price.

While it's a great lens a lot of the time there's no doubt in my mind (and experience) that the autofocus is slow enough to be a problem for some applications. Taking pictures of clouds or flowers or churches isn't an issue but for people, children especially, it can be painful. I kept mine for about a week.

That said, if the good outweighs the bad for you and you need it now, then you need it now.

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    don't let that stop you then. It's certainly an issue, but the benefits generally outweigh the negatives, personally. The only reason I'd add the PL25 is when I'm doing events, the 20 was a little frustrating to use for me. Also, I want a little redundancy for events, heh.

18. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 I bet they would get a ton of people like me with the current 20mm that would buy again. It may play havoc with the used pricing for a while, though.

I would be okay with them bringing it down to 17mm, just so my PL25 doesn't feel threatened. :biggrin:

19. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Maybe its the question whether its slow on which camera?
    I tried it on the E-PL2 and the E-PM1 and found it no worse than the 2,8/17.

Since there is no alternative out there, I ordered it yesterday.
    M< E-P1 is slow anyway:biggrin:

20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Not always the loudest anymore! :) That title goes to the PL25 in sunny conditions, particularly with an Oly body.

In any event, if you need a fast 20, I'd get one right now. Just look for an used one and save some $$.