1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Get the P 7-14mm and deal with the purple flare or get the 12-40mm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sooper, Feb 6, 2014.

1. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    I've been eyeing up the 7-14mm for a while now but the purple flare issue worries me quite a bit. I have an E-M5 and love the shots I'm seeing with the 7-14mm on this forum. I don't want the O 9-18mm because I feel the extra 2mm really makes a difference and I just love it. However if the purple flare issue is (still) as bad as they've been shown to be in the past, and since I don't want the 9-18mm my next option is to go for the O 12-40mm. If there was no purple flare I'd go for the 7-14mm because I love to shoot wide (7mm), but there's a good chance I'd have to give it a miss because of the flare and settle for 12mm with the 12-40mm. Any thoughts? Any photos at 12mm to make me feel better about getting the 12-40mm are welcome too. Cheers!

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    So you don't want to get the 9-18 because the extra 2mm "really make a difference", but then you are talking about getting the 12-40. Surely the extra 5mm would make even more of a difference...
    Rudy

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    In my Lightroom library over half the images taken with the 7-14 are taken at 7 and 8. So I to tend to agree the 9-18 isnt a great substitute. The 12-40 is a great lens and well worth buying but dont believe it will quench your desire to be a lot wider.

As for the purple flare, it can be incredibly annoying if you do nothing about it. However buying a back filter and 2A gel filter takes about half an hour on your computer and another half an hour to fit the back filter. Once you have put the gel filter in you can leave it there and it will last 3 months or so (and a gel filter pack contains enough gel for 20 or so filters.) This completely eradicates the purple flare 100%. Others find that they either dont get purple flare or dont mind it - still if you do mind it, it is very easy to resolve.

4. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    I guess that did seem a bit paradoxical. What I meant to say was that I liked the shots taken at 7mm but personally didn't feel the same about those taken with the 9-18mm at 9mm, and although the 12mm is not as wide I just love the photos it produces. So I'd rather step further away from the wider 7mm to 12mm than be closer at 9mm and not enjoy it as much. Uh, I hope this makes sense.

5. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    This sounds very promising. Are there any instructions available online and links to the items I'll need (Hoping they'll be easily available in the UK!)?

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    There is a lot of stuff about it in this thread

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=45013&highlight=definitive

...which also contains a link to a thread at dpreview on the subject. Between the 2 threads there is everything you need to know..

The instructions for the back filter installation given on the DPreview thread are rather complicated. It is probably easier to follow these instructions.

1) Unscrew existing back plate
    2) Screw in replacement back plate with built in filter
    3) Errr. thats it.

I have a feeling that you wont easily find the parts in the UK. But that is what the internet is for. The total cost might end up US$100 - of which US$50 is postage. And the actual part might be back catalogue and have to be ordered by the supplier.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You won't find the filter holders in the UK. It's a spare part for the 8mm fisheye really and I couldn't find any supplier who carries Pansonic photo gear spares. I bought it from a US supplier and had it re shipped via a friend who lives in Ohio.