Get the 14mm or 20mm for E-P2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rkhndjr, Nov 5, 2011.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I have used both these lenses on a GF-1 but now am without any of that setup and am thinking of the great buy on the E-P2 at Cameta/Amazon and then cannot decide on a lens. The 14mm can be bought new for $210 shipped and money is a big factor for me. Is the difference in price worth it? Any suggestions appreciated...
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    i'll go for the 20mm... i think it's the most versatile focal length at 40mm equivalent. with that said, you can't go wrong also with the 14mm, albeit wider.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Different uses. 6mm is a lot. I'd choose based on what you shoot.

14mm is wide-angle. Landscapes, indoor shots of large groups/scenes, etc.

20mm is a moderate normal. More useful for street photographs, indoors shots of individuals and whatnot.

Only downside of the 20 is that the AF is slower. Much faster than the E-P2's kit lens, but not as fast as the 14.

All in all, I'd say the 20 is the more useful lens, but it really does depend on what you shoot.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I'll second what others said... the 20mm is the way to go, because it is more versatile.

The 14 would make a great second lens when you are ready. It is so amazingly tiny and looks great on the E-P2.
  5. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Yet another vote for the 20mm, as if it needed any more. I currently own 8 lenses, and have owned at least twice as many in the one year that I've had my camera, but the vast majority of the pictures I've taken are with the 20mm.
  6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Another vote for the 20mm. Best all-rounder.
  7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've owned both 14mm and 20mm lenses. I disagree that 40mm equiv. is the most versatile FL, that would be 35mm equiv (or 17mm in 4/3 terms). The difference between 20mm and 14mm lenses is quite substantial and the choice should depend on the type of shooting you do, IMO. I eventually sold 20mm (my very first m43 lens) simply because I haven't been using it much since acquiring Oly 45mm.

Also, to me 14mm works way better for indoor photography including group photos and as a walk around lens. Panny 20mm not only focuses slow in low light (sometimes failing to achieve focus) but the DoF is still a little too shallow for many types of shooting (even when stopping down to f2.5) especially indoors (=limited space). My low light shooting is nearly always indoor and I don't do street shooting.

However, I also own Oly 14-150mm (outdoor only) and 45mm f1.8 lenses. I've been keeping 20mm for shallow DoF but now that I have Oly 45mm which does much better job at that I haven't mounted 20mm for over two months hence sold it. Not to mention that to my eyes, Oly 45mm gives noticeably better color and contrast wide open than Panny 20mm (and focuses much faster which is detrimental for portraits).

Having said all that, if you can only afford one lens- it's gotta be Panny 20mm because unlike 14mm, it will give you more creativite control with shallow DoF and available light, will give more pleasing portraits or environmental portraits (far less face distortions than wider angle 14mm lens) and the images will look distincty DSLR-like. Also, built-in flash provides better, more even coverage with 20mm lens.

In the future, I really would like to get 17mm f2 (or faster) lens to substitute 14mm because even though 28mm equiv. FL works so well me, it's simply boring with little creative control and images look more like good P&S rather than DSLR-like.
  8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Different people have different opinions about which focal length they prefer. If it's a big deal to you one way or the other, then that can be the deciding factor.

On the other hand, the 20mm is a technically superior lens. It just plain takes better pictures.

The other consideration is that with the pancake zoom that panasonic is putting out, I really don't see much use for the 14mm prime. The 20mm is the fastest mainstream m4/3 lens as well as one of the sharpest. The 14mm prime isn't going to give you that much of an advantage over a kit zoom at 14mm.
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The only thing is it's often hard to figure out what FL works best for walkaround. It took me a few months, two vacation trips and 10,000 shots to realize. I personally beleive that non-existent bright 17mm pancake would be the most versatile lens for most m43 shooters (but that's just IMHO).
    I do think that 14mm is far from useless even with the new pancake zoom because it's still smaller, brighter and can be had for quite a bit cheaper. The difference between f2.5 and f3.5 is ISO1600 vs ISO3200 or usuable vs unusuable for most m43 cams. Yes, the zoom has OIS but I don't see much need to shoot slower than 1/20s (which is possible shake free with 14mm lens), definately not for people.
    There is no doubt that 20mm takes noticeable better looking pictures than 14mm (better sharpness, color, contrast, control over DoF, etc.).

10. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I'm pretty happy with 20mm. I sometimes wish it was wider, I often wish it was longer, and I very often wish it could focus closer.

When I use a kit lens, I generally mostly just use it at 42mm. One of the reasons I got the 20mm was to force myself to use wider angles and take pictures of new things. Of course, Olympus threw a wrench in the works with the new 45mm prime and I'm getting very tempted.
  11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    couldn't agree more... :thumbup:
  12. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I have the 20 on my E P2 and it's perfect.
    Haven't tried the 14, but the 20 gives a great FOV and is brighter.