1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Get Oly-like JPEGS from RAW within Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Ray Friedman, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ray Friedman

Ray Friedman New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2012
    I have an Oly EP3. I shoot RAW+ small JPEGs. For some shots, the Oly JPEGs are just right, but I would like to get that image using the more detailed RAW files. I learned that Viewer 2 will translate the RAW files to ones that look very close to the in-camera JPEG if you use the "As Shot" option. Two questions:

1. Has anyone figured out how to get similar images -- that match the in-camera JPEGs -- from within Photoshop or PSE? Are there some settings that will do this?

2. If I have to stick with Viewer 2, is there any adjustment that produces even more detailed files (the conversion seems to, at its most detailed, keep a 5 meg file from the original 10 meg file).

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are a number of different approximations out there, but nothing official. It depends also on what camera settings you choose. My starting point would be to increase the contrast curve to medium (instead of linear), add overall saturation (+10 is a good start), and then increase blue channel saturation (another +5 to +10).

That's how JPEGs work. If you export it as a 16-bit TIFF you'll get the most possible information, but it still won't be as much as the original RAW file.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are we certain of this? What is missing, exactly?

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    TIFFs have WB, sharpening, exposure and a host of other things baked in. While all those things can be modified further , they can't really be undone. For example, I can't get the same level of fine-grained sharpening from an Oly Viewer TIFF (in Photoshop) that I can from a direct RAW conversion.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did not know that was the case. I would go from raw to tiff through the oly proggy then could use a great many other packages that handle tiff but not orf... now it seems I was getting the short end of the stick on that hand off.

For example, to make direct calculations of dynamic range I need tiff ... seems that is why my numbers never really jived with others.

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Software does make a big difference there too. That's not to say that TIFFs are necessarily bad in terms of malleability - but you can certainly do better, assuming competent RAW support (e.g. ACR).

7. The basic process of raw processing should be: retrieve data, edit data. If you are using two separate softwares for raw conversion and editing, the retrieval of data needs to occur first in the raw convertor. The tiff file exported from the raw convertor doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to contain data.