1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Get E-M10 now or wait for a better price?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kstano83, Aug 27, 2014.

1. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    I have a friend in states coming to see me in october and bringing me an E-M10 and some lenses (all new). I was just curious whether to tell him to get it now, with the extra $50 saving, or wait close until he leaves hoping for a better price. I know noone of you is a fortune-teller but maybe some of you know how olympus does his sales during a year. What do you think?

2. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Doubt prices will change much in 30 days.. Of anything maybe increase if a few update happens that includes better video specs.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Is your friend a photographer? Will you be able to get Olynpus service in Slovakia on a camera from the USA? I would be concerned more about an early failure rather than $50, since you are probably saving a whole lot more than that. Maybe you want to get a hundred or so shots to make sure it works before "exporting" it. Also, you are getting some savings on the lenses right now, which may not be available when it comes time to buy in October. only6 weeks away.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The US Labor Day holiday is coming up and there might be some sale discounts. I'd have your friend start looking now to see if any deals will appear. After that I really don't see a reason why there'd be a price change.

5. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Unfortunately you JUST missed obtaining a refurbished E-M10 from the US Olympus Outlet with their 15% off sale that ended Monday.

What is the pricing difference if you were to order one of the E-M10's from a South Korea vendor in ebay vs. having your friend in the US order? Do you have VAt or other import duties that the US doesn't impose? I bought my E-M10 from seller goodtrader0301; it arrived four days later and I paid no import/customs fees. (FWIW price has jumped up a little since I bought mine)

Whichever you do, be aware that Olympus camera and lens warranties are not transferrable. Make sure you register it as a gift, else if you need warranty service you may have to send stuff to your friend and have him send it in for repair.

6. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Yes, my friend is a pro. I have talked to Olympus in my country (Slovakia) and to Olympus service in states and they both insured me that I will get service in my country. All I will need is an international warranty card which will be included in the package that will ship to my friend. But I can ask him to shoot with the camera for a while to see if it's ok.

I looked at reconditioned stuff while it was up with the promo code but first, there were no 17 and 25 lenses available and second, the price was still better with saving when I buy the whole system new. Or was I looking wrong? Maybe not better, but sure VERY little difference.

I want to get the camera with 17/1.8, 25/1,8 and 45/1,8 which will save me nearly $600 compared to prices in my country, so if they refuse warranty here for any reason and I will ever need to send it to him for a repair to states, I'm still good.

And if I ordered on ebay and custom would open the package I'd have to pay 20% tax and 20% custom of the price of the whole package so it would be the same price as bought here.

And I thought that the saving on lenses when bought with a camera is available permanently. Am I wrong?

7. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Yes, a bundled purchase will save a substantial amount on lenses, likely enough to tip the balance in your favor. I'm sure your friend knows the appropriate vendors to buy from and avoid paying state sales tax, thus saving you more money.

I can't comment on the permanence of the lens bundling savings; perhaps others with longer m43 experience can relate their observations.

Before you receive your new camera, make sure you have a power cord that plugs into the C8 outlet on the charger. This is also sometimes called a "figure 8" connector and is pretty common. I had a couple extra cords from old power adapters long since thrown away. See here for a picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C7.2FC8_coupler

8. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Avoid paying sales taxes? Can you tell me more about it please? ☺

And yeah I have plenty of those power cords at home, but thanks for the info.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

9. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    I don't know your level of knowledge, so apologies if I'm addressing stuff you already know.

In the US, sales taxes are on a state by state basis rather than a national basis. If a vendor does NOT have a physical presence in a particular state, then they (typically) don't need to collect sales tax from the buyer and remit it to the buyer's state revenue department.

Accordingly, on large purchases it is often advantageous to order from a vendor that is not in your home state. For me that would be BHphoto.com since they're in New York state. However if I lived in New York state, I'd do better to order from another company such as Unique Photo (not in NY) since BH would have to collect sales tax.

Your friend is likely well versed in this. :)

10. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Oh yeah I knew about some of those. And I thought that I can get sale for lenses on olympus sites but apparently bhphoto does the same except I can only choose 2 lenses. Correct?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

11. JasonA

JasonA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    B&H does appear to have a limit on their bundles. I just bought an E-M10 from Crutchfield.com and they don't have a limit. I got three different discounted lenses with my E-M10.

12. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Ah, shame they dont have the 25 and 45 in black. I'd like to have them all the same color. Can anyone think of any other store that offeres bundles? If not, I will probably stick to this one.

13. JasonA

JasonA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Amazon does, but it has tax in many places now. Not sure about your friend's state.

14. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Illinois :)

15. JasonA

JasonA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Hmm, I think there's no Amazon tax in Illinois, and they let you choose as many of the bundled lenses as you want at a discount (and have the 25 and 45 in black).

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Amazon doesn't charge sales tax in Illinois,

17. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    I'm so confused. When I put it all in a basket on olympus site I get total of $1907 including tax and $1996 on amazon - without $100 off on the 45mm lens. Am I doing anything wrong?

18. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    What's different between the two baskets? Go over them line by line.

19. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Well, on Olympus site
    E-M10 - 749,99
    17mm - 449,99
    25mm - 399,99
    45mm - 399,99

discount $250
    tax - $157.50
    total - 1907,46

On amazon
    E-M10 - 749,99
    17mm - 449,99
    25mm - 399,99
    45mm - 399,99

discount $150 - only $50 on the 17mm, and $100 on the 25mm
    no info on tax
    free shipping
    total - $1,996.00

20. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    It appears that Amazon is providing different bundling discounts. You'll probably need to talk to Amazon about that to see if it's correct.