Get Carter!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brianetta, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    First, a reference image, for those unfamiliar with the subject. I did not take this photo; it's from geograph.co.uk, and is used under license (click image for info):
    [​IMG]
    The Trinity Car Park in Gateshead was made famous in the film, "Get Carter!" Michael Caine played the title role, and in one particularly memorable scene, Carter threw one of the villains from the top of the spiral stair well there into Trinity Square below.

I took this photo this morning, with my new old Pentax 50mm f/1.7 smc, and my new ยต4/3 adapter. All that's left is the base of that very stair well, like the demolishers were saving the best for last. Click for full size.
    [​IMG]

2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I loved that film. Now while the car park was not the prettiest in the world, it is a shame to lose a film landmark.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think you've just saved a little bit of cultural history for posterity! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    No.
    That eyesore made the whole area look scummy.
    Good riddance to it!
    (In fairness that whole area IS scummy, just now it'll have a chance to look better)

Get Carter was a really excellent film by the way, for anyone who didn't see it. See it!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Most of Gateshead has been derelict for too long. That car park cast a shadow over Trinity Square all morning; it was a horrible place to be. There isn't really a town centre; perhaps now, one can be built. Working here for ten years, I can say that there's nothing to do and nowhere to go at lunch time, except out of Gateshead.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah that's always been so strange.
    I wonder what it was like in the 1900s.

7. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Well in the 1970s, the same but without the person with the digital camera.

In the early 1900s (which is what I assume you meant), the same without the carpark and the Tesco and without the person with the digital camera.

8. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I love that film. One of Michael Caine's great performances. I love the seen where he goes to the door naked with the double barrelled shotgun!

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I very much doubt that.