Get an Olympus 12-50 or Panasonic 14-45mm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by madhuc74, Oct 14, 2013.

1. madhuc74

madhuc74 New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    Hi,

I am buying an OM-D EM-5 (getting an almost new copy - 2 weeks old) and trying to get a normal walkaround zoom. I will be getting an Olympus 45mm and another prime lens (leaning towards 20mm - used copy).

Regarding zoom, I can get a used/new Olympus 12-50mm for around $275 range and I can also get brand new Panasonic 14-45mm for $260. Everyone talks great about Panasonic 14-45mm. I am wondering which one to get.

Weather sealing is not that important (its a nice to have). However, image quality is more important. I have searched in the web and a lot of people are telling that Olympus 12-50 is not great (okay, but not great). I am now debating myself which one to get

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

_MC

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    $275 is not tht exceptional of a price for a 12-50, especially when Olympus is selling reconditioned copies for $199USD. Personally, I'd pick up a 14-45.

--Ken

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The O12-50 isn't that bad - I've been pleasantly surprised by it as a daytime walkabout lens. The 12mm and almost macro are the most useful attributes for me. That said, I probably wouldn't have got it outside of a kit unless it was a really good bargain.

4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'd get a refurbed 12-50 from Olympus. However I never used a 14-45. The 12-50 is pretty good. Also, 12mm makes a big difference for nature pictures.

5. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    12-50 is very good kit zoom and has a macro feature and power zoom. 14-45 is an awesome kit zoom, but no macro. 14-45 is much smaller collapsed, but no power zoom. I had both and prefer the lumix but loved using the 12mm. They are both fun to use :)

6. wjiang

I've never found much use for the power zoom... is it a video thing?

7. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Yes. I can't see a use for powerzoom for stills. Too slow for me.

The downside of the 12-50mm is it's size. Other than that I like mine. However needing to go wider the compact 9-18mm as well as the long end 14-150mm have made it largely redundant.

8. madhuc74

madhuc74 New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    Thanks. I see that there is a reconditioned 12-50 available from Olympus for $199. I am trying to get that. Even if that turned out to be not great, I will resell it and get the panasonic 14-45.

• Like Like x 1
  9. madhuc74

madhuc74 New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    Any idea how the reconditioned lenses from Olympus is? Personally I never bought any reconditioned/refurbished one from them.

Do you consider 14-45 optically superior or it is just same (only the pixel peepers can see the difference)?

_MC

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have purchased a body and two refurbished lenses directly from Olympus. I do not use one of the lenses (14-42), but the other, a 40-150, is quite a performer for a kit lens. When I met an Olympus, rep., he said strongly enocuraged the purchase of refurbished lenses. They are checked out before resale, and as they have less moving parts than bodies, they are usually a good deal and safe purchase.

I do not have the 12-50, but I did purchase a 14-45 based on its reuptation. As I have mostly been on a prime kick, I have not had a chance to test it, but if you read through some of the threads here, you will find that this lens has quite a loyal following. Many say that its IQ is tops among kit lenses, and it is often referred to as a slower, more affordable alternative to the 12-35, mostly with respect to IQ. No, it is not a 12-35, but its IQ/cost value ratio is considered quite high. New stock of this lens is still going strong, but at some point, I am sure that it will be discontinued, especially as Panasonic launches new kit zooms.

Unless you want/need 12mm, spashproof sealing, or a limited macro mode, I would buy the 14-45.

--Ken

--Ken

11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think the new P14-42, the II version is a much better choice. 14-45 is great, but the new P14-42 has got better CA control, and it's lighter and smaller, sharpness is also very good, most importantly it only extends a little when zooming, and it's cheap

12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    P14-42 II has a plastic lens mount the P14-45 is metal....I prefer a metal mount.

13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    true:agree:
    I heard somewhere there will be a retail version with metal mount, but I doubt we will have it any time soon, beyond that, a good lens

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Get the tiny P12-32mm.

15. wjiang

Uh, that's a very different lens. Though very tempting for its size, it doesn't appear to have a MF ring. We'll also have to wait and see about IQ and whether we'll get shutter shock on the larger bodies with normal curtain shutters like with the old 14-42 PZ. It's designed for the GM1 which uses a lighter and slower design that only goes up to 1/500 mechanical, any faster and its electronic, so we might see a difference.